Find
Notify
Tools

how to display you collection
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
I just finished sorting a shoe box of old and new cartrages. i have them lined up on my reloading bench. I was loking for a way to display them.
Any one have a case or some way to stand them up smallest to tallest, thanks Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
So , how many cartridges are we talking here ? Sounds like the start of a bigger accumulation!

You could make a couple of narrow wooden shelfs - say two inches wide - and screw them to the wall , then get a sheet of perspex or similar and attach that over the top to keep the goodies in and the small fingers out , but that is a pain in the a** every time you want to play or add another item.

My prefered method is a cabinet with narrow trays - mine are old sewing cotton spool cabinets - with a corrigated cardboard liner to stop the cartridges from rolling about.I appreciate that these cabinets are scarce , but a guy with an ounce of woodworking ability , or a friend in the joinery trade , could rattle up something half way acceptable in fairly short time .

What do others use ? I would be interested to know as well .

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
I don't own any, but for years, I've watched industrial auctions for blueprint or map cabinets. Slim (typeically 2 inch - 5 cm high) drawers, fairly wide & deep, very well constructed & designed to handle considerable weight.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Printers Drawers. [Wink]

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a collection Tony!
Say what was that cartridge on the forth shelf down on the left 127 in from the right...... [Big Grin]

Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
That certainly is a line-up . However , my fear of that style of storage is - when one cartridge gets a bump and topples over the whole damn lot fall over. Doesnt sound like fun to me .
The map/plan cabinet or cotton reel cabinet takes some beating , plus you bet to pile huge amounts of junk on top of the cabinet as well.
Any other thoughts out there ?

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
That certainly is a line-up . However , my fear of that style of storage is - when one cartridge gets a bump and topples over the whole damn lot fall over.

Yeah, it does occasionally happen (well, not the whole lot but several at a time!). It is nice having them all in view from my desk, though.

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks tony, that sure is a real impressive collection.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

This cabinet was made to our specs.

The back is a sheet of plywood with a piece of felt cloth glued to it.

I put a small amount of glue on each cartridge, and stuck there.

-

Posts: 66754 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Nice line up!

Unfortunately I prefer to be able to handle the catridges , and this system doesnt allow that . Guess I'm just a touchy/feelly sorta guy . I always have visions of the butterfly specimens at the local Museum with this style of display. Great for an original Winchester Cartridge Board but not for me for my collection .

The small drawer cabinet system is probably easiest to work , map or plan cabinets are available , but I guess it depends on what level of security you need for your cartridges . I am very slowly training the resident three year old in our house to leave things alone , apparently it isnt acceptable any more to airmail children into the next room with ones boot.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put together one board and recieved another one as a gift (smaller than the first). With either one, you end up glueing the cartridges onto the board shelf in the upright standing position...which doesn't allow for the headstamp to be shown (which actually works in my favor since i have a few wild cats and odd-jobs with different/parent case headstamps).

either way, they're both hanging on the wall in the basement.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote