New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was at a collectors fair today, here in England, and found an 8 mm Berthier charger clip with the correct 3 rounds, yes they held 3 ! Then I saw this inert round, and thought, what is that ?! The head stamp is DOMINION 6.5 mm, no X a number for case length, and clearly not 6.5 either... Bear in mind this is a fired case, and the projectile is probably wrong, but looks good. It looks like a 7.62 x 39's big bro... Any thing similar would not have been contracted to a Canadian factory.
Checked out all my metric stuff...
Bullet dia 7.75mm / .301"
case length 44.5mm / 1.755"
COL 60.9mm / 2.399"
Rim dia / .446"

Could this be a 7 x 44 Danish Short, for the Weibel M/1932 Type 1 and 2 Light Machine Gun, the 7x44 automatgevaer ? The gun was never adopted by the Danish Forces...
Am I right, or 'barking up the wrong tree' !

Posts: 27 | Location: Hertfordshire, U.K. | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
a pic with a known cartridge for referance would help - but it may be a home made case for the 7.62x45 VZ52 lmg ?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzza, reckon you are bang on there, think I found a picture of the Dane, it has big extractor groove, and little case taper, whereas mine looks like the VZ round. On my internet travels found a 7.5 X 45 Czech round. So will go 7.62 x 45. Nice acquisition for a £ !
Will have to learn how to post pictures here, heard it's not easy....
Thanks mate !

Posts: 27 | Location: Hertfordshire, U.K. | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote