The Accurate Reloading Forums
Herter's 244???

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4321043/m/722109821

15 April 2004, 04:04
Marterius
Herter's 244???
I have in my hand an empty case stamped Herter's (upper headstamp) and 244 (lower headstamp). I thought it was a .244 Rem - 6 mm Rem - but this case is 55 mm long (2.163 in) and hence shorter then the 6 mm Rem. Only the neck is shorter as far as can understand - the rest of the case seems to be just like the .244 Rem. Do you have any idea of what it might be? Has some schmuck cut down a .244 Rem or is this something else?

Regards,
Martin
15 April 2004, 11:57
muzza
The Minnesota USA based firm of Herters operated a mail order sales business for hunters and outdoors type folk since 1893 up to at least the 1970's. they sold a lot of reloading components , including cartridge cases and loaded ammo .

Herters also developed many of their own proprietory cartidges , some with double necked cases to aid turbulence and complete burning of the powder . The company Principles seem to have devoted much time to big game hunting and used their own calibres extensively .

Their 1969 catalogue lists many cases available , including the Rem .244 ,which would have been produced with the company name in the headstamp , as is yours . I would guess that you have a wildcat case based on the .244 rem case ,but which calibre?
16 April 2004, 01:50
Marterius
Thanks! Sound like these Herter guys enjoyed themselves!

The calibre is .244, so as far as I can judge this is in metric terms a 6x55 with the shoulder and body of a .244 Rem.

Perhaps I should post this in the Wildcat forum...

Regards,
Martin
22 April 2004, 13:13
moon
What you need is a "HERTERS" catalog,one of the older ones from the 60ds. They were a great read as he had many great items. Too bad the company folder.
22 April 2004, 22:08
muzza
There is a listing for the .244 remington in the 1969 herters Catalogue , but not in the wildcat version in question here . The case doesnt conform to any of the Herters own calibres , so I suspect it is someones wildcat made on Herters brass. Could just as easily have been Rem or Winchester brass , I dont beleive the maker has any relevance to the cartridge itself .
No further help in identifying your cartridge Marterius, sorry ....
23 April 2004, 00:57
Marterius
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the efforts!

I guess a likely explanation is that someone was going to form the case into something else and started by cutting it back, or perhaps just wanted to try his new case-trimmer...

Regards,
Martin