Find
Notify
Tools

Any help appreciated
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted
I have heard stories, does anyone have anything definitive on the 45 ACP?

one of us
posted Hide Post
muffin

Looks to me like something somebody made in their garage. A joke cartridge?? What's the story you heard??

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
Not a joke. There were a couple of them, IIRC, on one of the auction sites a while back, and they went for somwhere in the $10/piece range. Picked mine up from a gundealer/friend that saves me weird ammo, says they were used to shoot over the head of basic training grunts to give the whistling sound of 'INCOMING' ?????

Sounded weird to me, but who knows..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drop a line to Iconoclast, he's big on the US Military stuff.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
I don't believe anyone has any definitive data on the purpose of these rounds other than the fact they whistle and were loaded by Remington under military contract in WWI. The first is known by trial and the second from the packaging. I had some photos of that somewhere and I know the Woodin Museum has copies which I forwarded to them. The story I was given, which may well be purely speculative BS, is that these were used to simulate incoming when the American troops went "over the top" to keep the Huns hunkered down in the trenches. The training usage makes more sense, as it wouldn't take long for veteran troops to realize there were no shells falling, no matter how many "incoming" whistles they heard.

Where you are in GA, I suspect the original source of your specimen may be the same as mine, as most of these seem to have appeared in Florida, from a partial crate a snowbird from MA found up this way and took with him when he relocated, spreading out from there. Ten bucks seems to buy one *if* you can find it. This loading is not included in Hackley, Woodin & Scranton Volume I, either addition nor the addendum and nothing official about it has come to light as yet even though it was clearly a contract item.

Best I can do for ya.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
Thanks, The one that I acquired did come from west central Florida.

thanks again.

Gene