New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45ACP Flash Hole
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ran across a .45 ACP case with the usual "Winchester 45 Auto" headstamp. The flah hole however, instead of being the usual .080" to ,084", would pass a #30 drill (.128"). Has Winchester started using lead-free primers in the 45 case?

Bud W

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a early NT (Non-Toxic) case, the later (current) ones use small pistol primers.

Win will tell you not to reload either of them, but I've had no problem with the few "large flash hole" ones I've reloaded for my Glock. The SP ones do require you to sort them out and reprime with SP primers before running them through the regular steps.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. The Win case I have uses the large pistol primer and has no NT headstamp. I also have a couple of Federal NT cases with SP primer pockets. Just curious!

Bud W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting - I hadn't seen these but I'll be on the lookout in my range pickups this weekend. Should be lots of brass if the snow melts a bit.

A .45 ACP case would indeed look odd. I remember the .357 Mag cases with the large primer pockets years ago - just didn't look right!

I think FA also loaded some .45 ACP years ago with a real odd primer pocket - something like .200 dia. if I recall correctly.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tvfinak
With the cases he's talking about, it's only the flash hole that's different, the primer is still the same.

With the FA cases your refering to, that was done to prevent having primers from the 30-06 line used in 45ACP cases and visa versa (IIRC the 2 lines were side by side at Frankfort Arsonal).

The LP 357 cases are from early in the deveopment stages of the round.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote