Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Griffin&Howe box of 30-06 basic brass
 Login/Join

posted
My Dad found this box at a gunshow close to ten years ago. When he got it it had some old packing tape all over the box. On the way out of the show it started to fall off. My Dad took it the rest of the way off, and he neary had a heart attack whe he saw the Griffin&Howe name. Here are some pictures of the box. I hope someone here could maybe fill us in on the history of this box of brass. There are 128 cases in the box we believe it originally contained 130 but we could be wrong.

The only thing we know for shure is that it was shipped from

L.G.S. Corp.
Middlefield,CONN

to

Griffin&Howe, INC. 202
East 44Th St.
New York N.Y.

On December 1st 1943

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Posts: 4 | Location: Locust Grove G.A. U.S.A. | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they have a headstamp ?

If not they are probably military basics G&H acquired to load as 35 or 400 Whelens with G&H headstamp added.

LGS is Lyman Gunsight Corporation, now

Lyman Products Corp
475 Smith Street
Middletown, CT 06457

I have 200 odd of them that came with a G&H 7mm06 I bought and sold decades ago.

Never used any as unsure about heat treating and they have no headstamps.

Ask Mike Petrov he may have more info.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pile of such stuff left over from when Griffin & Howe moved their gunsmithing operations from the Bernardsville NJ retail store up to the Hudson Farms shooting grounds.....1950s and 60s boxes of bullets, chipboard boxes of WW primed brass, etc....cool old stuff.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's neat stuff. I have a couple of 20 round boxes of Norma 375 Cylindrical cases. The old woodtone and orange ones.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote