New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd 6.5 carcano
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In a random box of "stuff" I dont know where it came from, I found a carcano round. It had a copper/brass jacketed bullet, open at the tip, and 3 equell sided cuts down the jacket. As a farmer, my first thoughts were to grab a pair of visegrips and pull it, but common sense prevailed and I used a collet and press and got a surprise. The case is 2.06", the bullet 1.950"! The slits run the full length of the 262.5 grn bullet and rolled under on the bottom, lead showing there too. The case has R.M. and 43 on the headstamp. Any guesses?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSJ

I was hoping someone would answer your question because I'm wondering what that cartridge is myself. I'm assuming there was no powder? How about a primer? Could it be some sort of dummy training round? The long "bullet" would keep it from being shoved back into the case when working the cartridge through the rifle. Just a WAG on my part. It could also be something that someone made up out in their garage for some purpose?

The R.M. headstamp doesn't seem to match any that I am aware of. 43 is most likely 1943 but you probably already knew that.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSJ, Cheechako:

This cartridge is illustrated in Vol. 2 of Datig's "Cartridges for Collectors". He describes it as a multi-ball load containing 6 lead slugs, a 'riot' type cartridge apparently used for guard duty. Officially "Cartuccia a mitraglia", which he translates as 'canister cartridge'.

If the cartridge has the R.M. at 12 o'clock, and B-43 at 6 o'clock, according to Hogg's "The Cartridge Guide" it was made by Pirotechnia di Bologna, Italy (Mario Rubino, chief inspector).

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, a B 43 and R.M. at 12 and 6, I havent pulled it apart, but there's a tuft of cotton, wool or something holding down the small amount of powder. Interesting ... how common a cartridge is this? I showed it to alot of people who never had heard of it.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
It is indeed the multiball; I've had a few over the years. Too bad you broke it down before asking - that loading is fairly scarce and worth a modest amount. If the collet didn't damage the bullet (and reassembled without damage), the plain tip version will bring $20 or better, the capped tip $30 or better.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote