New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Cheer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
ACtually this is a two part question...I have been looking through Cartridges of the World by Barnes and have seen the "What Cheer" cartridges listed in the obsolete BP section. Where did that term come from? I have asked this question of many people and no one can give me an answer.
The second part is I am looking for a Kauffman (spelling?) cartridge. They were, or are, used to start some radial airplane engines. A friend of my had one many years ago and I would be interested in finding one. Thanks in advance for the help...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding of the subject is "What Cheer" was the name of a range. I am not 100% sure on this one but that is what I have been told.

Corbin Shell

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Coffman is the correct spelling: Jimmy Stewart used onme to crank of the engine in the movie "Flight of the Phoenix." I'm posting reference to a short article you might find interesting.

http://www.sjvls.org/sjvis/bens/bf010cs.html
These starters were most common pre WWII and were used to crank off the radials common at that time. The Coffman and the Breeze starters were two of the most common ones. I think some of the early Spitfires had these starters, not sure about that.
The onlky thing I know about the cartridges is that I have heard they cost a fortune. I have never seen one but surely some are still available.
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you for the quick and informative replies. I remember the scene in the Flight of the Phoenix and it was several years after I first saw that movie that I met the friend who had one.
As for the What Cheer...thanks for the info....sounds logical to me....

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
<thender>
posted
From the Cartidges of the World, Volume 9.... "Made for the Peabody-Martini rifles. Named for the "WHAT CHEER" rifle range outside Providence, R.I. Which opened in 1875." Manufactured in 40-70 & 40-90. The 40-90 is often mistaken for the 577-450 Martini-Henry, as evidenced by the "letters to the editor" section in some early IAA news letters.
Hope this helps!...... [Smile]