New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to dertermine value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some old cartridges in my bullet collection and not even sure what they are, one is shapped like a pear with a hole in the back thats open, like for a needle gun or something then i have a variety of short fat rimfire loads. is there anyone that i could send a picture to to determine if they have significant value or to ID them?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Post a photo here; someone will offer an opinion.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having a major brain fart happening, but your "pear shaped" round is a CW era "separately primed" cartridge. The hole allowed the flame from the percussion cap to reach the powder.
The Maynard, Gallager and Burnside cartridges also used this "priming" system.

As far as the short fat rimfires go, there are a bunch of them, from 25 Bacon & Bliss to the 18mm Swiss Millbank-Amsler of 1867 (and that's just in my small collection).
Measure the diemeter of the bullet/case mouth (on these the 2 numbers are almost the same, just like they are on a 22 LR round)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Check on the IAA (International Ammunition Association)website. Good and knowledgeable folks there should be able to help you. Goes without saying - photos will make things easier.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll dig them out and get some photos...thanks guys!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Yep - post some pics so someone can at least identify what you have. Could some scarce items in there , might be no value at all .
Post some pics and you will find out .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote