Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher Collector's Association yearly meeting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted
Will be held in Birmingham, AL July 6-10, 2016. We will spend some time as guests of the Steyr firearms manufacturing company and will probably have another shooting contest with our nice old Mannlicher-Schoenauers.

If you have any interest, please plan to attend. Details as I get them.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notice. I just purchased a 100% new unaltered 1908 Steyr Mannlicher with Lyman bolt peep and solid rib barrel. Caliber is not marked but I assume it is 8x56R. Will find out for sure when it arrives.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should pull this one out of the cabinet and dust it off: Model 1903 with a Lyman swing away peep sight chambered in 6.5x54MS. It doesn't get a lot of use these days. My eyes have got to the point the peep and the factory irons are hard to see and I can't bring myself to having it tapped and drilled for a scope.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
fla3006, Your MS 1908 is beautiful and the cocking piece aperture really adds to its appeal.
It should be chambered for 8x56 MS rather than the 8x56R you mentioned. They are totally different cartridges.
As I learn more on the MCA get together in ALA in July, I will post here.
We would love to have a lot of you join in on the fun.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
TommyII, I know what you mean about the quandary of old eyes and iron sights.
My eyes are strange. I am nearsighted in my left eye and far sighted in my right. I shoot right eyed.
I have trouble from 50 yards to just short of 300 yards. Then my farsightedness kicks in. I do well at 300 to 500 yards. If the light is good, I can sometimes see better at 880 yards than others can see through a 6x scope. Kida weird.
I suggest you either find a Griffin and Howe double lever side mount and have it carefully mounted or stick with the irons and shoot close. These old treasures in unaltered condition are getting rarer each day.
Hope to see some of you in July.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
KCCA
IAA

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I would love to attend but can not.I am down to 2 rifles now. The 1st,an 08 in 8x56M/S scoped out w/a qd + dst+ my jewel;a 1903 99+% complete w/ cleaning kit in but as well as being fitted with a QD Kahles scope.I sold my M1910 years ago which was in basically was an inept .375. (Which H+H proved + thus drove that model out of production.I cast + loaded for that rifle for years.I might have to put these 2 jewels on the market within the next month so I can afford to finance another of Michelle Obama's vacations.Pics on request but the truth is that I really don't want to sell.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't bring myself to having it tapped and drilled for a scope.

I struggle with the same....I scoped my Mod. 1910 MS in 9,5x57 but cant bring myself doing that with my Mod. 1903 in 6,5x54...the latter made by Charles Lancaster in 1906..

Guess I have to keep struggling with those SMALL express sights...

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a quality job Vis/vis then no worries. For what it's worth,my 03 was fitted w/a Kahles QD ,etc.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just sold my 1908 to another member here on A.R. I hope he enjoys it as much as I did. Still can't allow myself to let loose of my 1903,just too much heritage + art in such a beautiful piece. Best All.