New
Find
Notify
Tools

collectable ammo box protection?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been acquiring a few collectable ammo boxes. When I see such displayed at shows, they are generally protected with some kind of plastic film. Can anyone tell me what is used?

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people just use plastic food wrap.
A better way (if you are careful and don't plan to do anything but display them) is to use a vacuum sealer, just don't let it run until it stops by itself or you may collapse the box.
Put a pinch of dessicant in there to keep any eye on any possibility of moisture. If you want access to the ammo, buy clear plastic boxes and put VPI chips (Brownells) inside.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
cut styrofoam to the inside shape will help hold the shape too. Guys here use the plastic film/sheet that florists wrap flowers in , fold it carefully and tape the end flaps like your mum taught you to wrap xmas presents.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I use the window wrap and use a hair dryey to shrink it .

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote