New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Cartridge Name
 Login/Join

<landtrain>
posted
For several months I've been working on a wildcat round for a modified .25 Cal M1 Carbine. I have taken a .30 Carbine case necked it down to accept a .257 bullet. I've been asked what it was called and I have no name to give them. So, I dub thee the ".257 DRE." to match the bore diameter and my initials. Anyone know why I can't do this?

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The beauty of wildcatting is that - despite the end result doing nothing that a commercial cartridge cant do , you did it yourself .
For myself , the .30 Carbine cartridge wouldn't feature as the parent , but the French use a .22 calibre /M1 carbine wildcat as a benchrest rifle , due to the illegality of shooting military calibres. ( Dont ask why , they are French , after all ). I guess others have done similar things , you would end up with a handy brushgun that you reinvented yourself .
I have studied my wildcat references and not found one listed in your configuration , so I guess the choice of names is . Good on you - the rest of us just dream about the cartridge we could invent , but you have had the courage to do it!

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I made my own cartridge once; I called it the "45 Eargersplittin Fingercruncher"

Quite by accident really, I got a 44mag mixed up with a 45LC and loaded it in the wrong handgun. Very hard to reload as the front of the case was bigger than the rear!!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
landtrain, while I think that calling it the 257DRE is just fine, and I don't want to take the credit away from you, I was thinking that "25 Carbine" might be a good name for your wildcat. Everyone that hears it will try to correct you!

Congrats and have fun,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
I've looked at a 25 "carbine" wildcat...but one which is completely different than the 25 DRE. The parent case would be the 5.7x28FN, shortened and necked to .251 (The carbines were after all chambered for pistol bullets). The FN case has the dubious advantage (?) of having almost the same head dimensions as the 25ACP, though the body is right at 0.030 larger.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware that there was already a different "25 carbine" wildcat out there. Enough difference between the two that you wouldn't want to get the cartridges mixed up, especially trying the ".257 DRE" in a "25 carbine" chamber.

Thanks for the info!, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<landtrain>
posted
This is starting to get interesting. I'm going to try to slug by barrel this evening just to make sure what I'm dealing with. I bet a Carbine case full of Unique would push a .25 cal pistol bullet right on down the barrel. Interesting!

How about "UBB.Classic .25"???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bad Ass Wallace,
I ran across an article a few days ago that was almost 30 years old. It was titled .44/.45 and featured swaging down a .45 ACP case in a .44 Special or Magnum resizing die. To get the head down to the right size it couldn't be done in a press because of the shell holder. Had to use a vise to squeeze it down. End result is a semi-rimmed .44 cartridge with the length of a .45 ACP. The purpose was to come up with a light practice load and increase your familiarity with your recoiling .44.
Naturally, I tried it and darned if it didn't work! Still, it's a long way to go to water your horse, but that's the fun of it. Your fingercrunchen story reminded me that I need to clearly mark the .44/.45's or I could do some finger crunching of my own!
'puck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote