THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CARTRIDGE COLLECTING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

11.15 X 60mmR 71/84 Unpatched Bullet Dia.
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone miked an original bullet from a 71/84 Mauser round? I'm interested in having a mould made for paper patched bullets, and want to know the original dimensions of the bullet. Some of the information on bullet weight that I've found seems to vary from 370 to 385 grains. I would also like to know the diameter of the flat-point.
Thanks,

Byron

Posts: 22 | Location: Oregon City, OR USA | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Byron Harris:
Has anyone miked an original bullet from a 71/84 Mauser round? I'm interested in having a mould made for paper patched bullets, and want to know the original dimensions of the bullet. Some of the information on bullet weight that I've found seems to vary from 370 to 385 grains. I would also like to know the diameter of the flat-point.
Thanks,

Byron

I have not miked an original bullet, but the bullets I shoot are .446", which seems to be the standard for the caliber. The rifle is very accurate with that size bullet.

There are several good commecial molds out there for regular grease groove bullets, so I don't know why you would want to pay for a custom mold.

Ben R.

Posts: 58 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the grease-groove bullets, and they are accurate. What I'm trying to do is re-create the original load as much as possible using a paper-patch bullet of the original diameter. Mountain Molds, in your neck of the woods, has some very reasonable prices. In e-mail correspondence with Dan McLeod, he can make me a custom mould for not much more than an off the shelf grease groove mould. That's why I'm looking for the info.

Mountain Molds

Byron

[ 09-12-2003, 07:50: Message edited by: Byron Harris ]

Posts: 22 | Location: Oregon City, OR USA | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.446 is the correct diameter

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
The correct diameter of the mould you are seeking is dependent upon the bore diameter of your barrel and the thickness of your patch paper if it is to be custom. Patched, nearly pure lead bullets, were originally designed to finish out a very few 1000ths over bore diameter. That is, unless you want to duplicate a generic kind of bullet without regard to your rifle. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Byron, I think I have a few 11.15 x 60mmR rounds. The origional military rounds I have (they are head stamped 1887) are a paper patched round nose. The bullet mikes about .446 and the case is 2.3 inches long it has that funny looking stepped rim, wasn't it called a mauser "A" rim or something like that? Any way I bought 20 or so rounds at a gun show in Baker City 4 or 5 or so years ago. The cartridges came in 5 round "clips" two 'clips' to a cardboard box. still have one unopened box.
If there's a way for us to meet up I'll give you a round or two, if its the correct cartridge.
I'm in The Dalles do you ever get up this way? Or I do get down to the big city every now and again.

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm puzzled about the 11mm Mauser being loaded in Mannlicher clips.
Mauser A base 11x60 M71 and 71/84 has a base diameter of 0.5150"-0.5160 (Kynoch and Winchester, cited in Howell's blue book, _Custom Carteidges_), while the Gras is about 0.544"
My Dominion 43M unpatched 385 grain bullet measures 0.444" and the meplat is about 0.275". That is a modern Canadian specimen. The "71 was a roundnose, of course, as it was single loaded and not subjected to tubular magazine constraints.
Sorry I add to the "still no joy" to your question on the original pre-patched diameter specification.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

[ 11-07-2003, 08:04: Message edited by: Ross ]

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I quess that goes to show me what I do or do not know. Whatever military round that I have has a base/rim diameter of .619. Bullet is still about .446 give or take.

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
<buckoff>
posted
Hay ya'll.....I have a bunch of that ammo (all original loads) in the stripper clips and a lot of it in the cardboard. I believe it is the same for the mannlicher and the Mauser....did the research back when I was trying to find it a home. If ya'll wanna email me I'll look it up again...and it's still for sale (I'm located by Granbury west of the metroplex)my email is buckoff@ev1.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Mannlicher ammunition will not fit into my '71 Mauser; it is too fat and will only enter about half way.
Regards from Gray's California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote