An identification required
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Tomas M needs an ID on this cartridge please

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

Looks like a 37mm Pom Pom shell to me - any other suggestions ? Nice projectile.

(I suggest the case was made in 1898 by Karlsruhe , but has been reloaded several times since .)

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are correct. This is the 37x94R Hotchkiss round, introduced in their five barrel rotary cannon in 1885 (like a big Gatling, only with a different mechanism). The most common headstamp you see is 37-85, indicating the calibre and the date of introduction.

The round was later adopted in the late 1890s by Maxim for his '1 pdr' which was a big belt-fed machine gun. It was popularly known as the 'pom-pom' after the sound it made on firing.

Later still it was used in various single-barrel manually-loaded guns including the one in the little Renault FT tank and a French 'trench gun' which was also IIRC the same as the one adopted by the US Army around 1917.

The ammo has probably been made in more countries and in more variations than any other cannon round. I know people who just collect these, and they have thousands!

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Tony - am I correct in guessing that the multiple dots in the headstamp symbolise reloads? Some English loadings have new marks added or old ones crossed out , I am unsure on European variations .

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
My pleasure Thomas . I dont think you paid too much for two of them , if they are both in that condition I would say you did a good deal .

You should sign up with Imageshack to let you post pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Tony - am I correct in guessing that the multiple dots in the headstamp symbolise reloads? .

That's right.

Posts: 1850 | Location: Above and beyond | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Williams:a French 'trench gun' which was also IIRC the same as the one adopted by the US Army around 1917>

The French supplied them to the AEF as well as the FT 17 and the 75 mm howitzer.

Posts: 1850 | Location: Above and beyond | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote