Find
Notify
Tools

Posting pictures
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted
For the technically challenged (no names, but the term Kiwi may apply [Big Grin] ):

To post a picture, first you must upload it to a different server using FTP or a similar app. Next, copy the URL for the image location. Then, in the body of the message, insert the code "img" "/img" - substituting L & R brackets [ ] for the L & R quotation marks (no spaces!). Finally, locate the cursor between the two elements of code and insert the URL previously copied. Slick as a trout and quick to do.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I am sorry , no speeky computer geeky .I dont speak foreign languages - if you would like to try again in English ( at least Australaisian English )I might be tempted to have a go. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Mr. muzza, the following is just for you [Wink]

(1) Secure an image - follow the directions in the instruction booklet which accompanied the camera or scanner to transfer it to your computer.

(2) Arrange for storage space on a server (this is a computer which you access through the Internet). Probably the firm which acts as your ISP (Internet Service Provider - they bill you) provides some space for each customer. But if not, you can ask them for a recommendation.

(3) Using the "Search" function of your browser (the software application you are using to read this), locate a File Transfer Protocol to download (copy from the Internet to your computer); I would recommend WS_FTP "Light" - it is free and simple to use, the latter being a key quality here.

(4) Once you have downloaded the FTP client, install it on your system . . . usually this requires using your mouse to double click on the file name.

(5) After installation, follow the instructions in the "Help" menu of the FTP software to upload (send to the server mentioned in #2 above) whatever graphic image you wish.

(6) Now, go to the Internet site where you stored the image (you DID bookmark this, right?) and duble click on the file name. This will bring up the image in the browser window. "Cut" the verbiage (the "URL") in the address window at the top of the page. Now switch to the message window you are using for your post.

(7) At whatever point in your post you wish to insert the graphic, type this sequence of characters: "img" "/img" - substituting L & R brackets [ ] for the L & R quotation marks. Finally, locate the cursor between the two elements of code: "img] HERE [/img" and insert the URL previously copied. [Razz] [Cool]

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Wow - I never knew a simple task could be so complex!!!!

Until I get my head around all those big words I will still offer to scan and send any interested folk photos of interesting stuff. It has taken me 44 years to master adding and subtracting with a pocket calculator , so this may take a while ...

I thank you , though , for explaining to others who also may be techno-geek illiterate , how to post pictures .Of course I could get my four year old to do the task for me... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Are these shooting related pictures?

If they are and it's not spam then GoGoVarmintGo has a memberthat hosts a free picture posting site.

http://10.39.cm.sunflower.com/ggvg/

Click on "picture upload"
user = ggvg
Password=varmint

Click on "Browse" and find the picture file you want to post.

The site will give you the URL of the pictures new Internet Address - copy this and paste it in the Address box of your Internet browser.

When the screen showing your picture is up - add it to your bookmarks.

When posting to this board there are 10 "buttons" below the text composition screen. Click "image"

Then paste the URL for your stored image/picture into this pop up box.

It should post it into your message like this

-

Files of the type JPG, JPEG, BMP, or GIF are best but others might work.

It sounds more complicated than it is.

I only request that you do not abuse the upload site for non shooting pictures..that will get you banned from using it. After all this man is doing it as a service to shooters.

I did have edit this post to delete a space between the file name and the last "[/img]" though before it would post.

[ 07-27-2003, 06:27: Message edited by: Vibe ]

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
right , time for a trial run....  -

and if I did it all correctly we will have a pitcher....

If not iconoclast will have a field day.....

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Phew , thats lucky , thought I was in for another tekno geek bollocking there for a moment...

If you are interested the photo shows what would have to be some of the rarest .577 Snider cartridges in captivity - the one on the left is a mystery , the blackened Ball cartridge is the first New Zealand production dating from 1888/9 , known as the Whitney Patent Mk A , the next two are the result of the MkA being unsatisfactory in service and most of it being remanufactured into the two Blank variants shown.

If you arent a Snider fan - get over it . We Colonials are a bit possessive about "our " cartridges , ask the Canadians about Sniders - they made their own Patterns just for us collectors too.....

So , Teak , thanks for the simple instructions , and thanks to T. Carr from the Africa Forum of 10-28-02 for his directions , which I had all along , but didnt want to disrupt the game as it unfolded..... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Glad to be of service, mate. This is living proof that if a simple lesson is repeated often enough, ANYONE can learn. [Wink]