New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daws Patent Shotshells
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a number of 'Daws Patent' shotshells that I salvaged from a shed a while back.

The headstamp is raised and reads (if not clear in the photo): DAWS PATENT No 16
Top wad: 2 3/4d
1 oz 6
Does anyone have any info on these cartridges?
An approximate date, rarity and value would be good to know.
As you can see the condition varies a bit. Some seem to have been affected by water at some stage. The top wad text is only visible on two of the shells.
Also the wooden box is what they were found in, not packed but loose. It would fit 100 shells standing upright. I figure the box matches the shells?
I tried asking on a cartridge collecting forum a year or so back but they either didnt know or werent interested as I got no replies.

Any info would be appreciated.

BTW I do know who Daw was. An English gunsmith who was involved in introducing the centre fire to britain. Was also involved in a law suit against Eley around the mid to late 1800s.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard mate . Heres a bit of information on the Daws Patent shells - not much tho....

Dates from the early 1860's , and was made with a coarse paper tube and brass head with percussion primer . The headstamp was raised - as are your examples. The Daws patent also applied to rifle cartridges , notably the snider. Any Daws cartridges are rare , so dont go giving them away , and the box appears to be authentic and the appropriate style for the era .

I wouldnt like to guess at a dollar value , but can point you in the direction of folk in Australia who could be of honest help . Hope that is of some value to you .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some honest help would be appreciated. I am not contemplating giving them away and will definatley be keeping some for my own collection. Wouldnt mind doing some dealing to expand my somewhat limited collection though. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 39 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
sent you a private message.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Alpine Hunter, I'm way outa my league on shotshells, but I'd bet those shells are worth an easy US$100 each to "the right guys" on a *bad* day. If the krazed Kiwi hasn't found you a value, let me know.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
I believe I read in Boddington's Safari Rifles that Daws was responsible for the 1st centerfire cartridges.

When you need it and don't have it you'll be singing a different tune.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote