New
Find
Notify
Tools

400 H&H loading and information
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know or have any information on the 400 H&H cartridge, and loading information for the same cartridge.....thanks

Posts: 99 | Location: Northeast Missouri | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
heres a snippet

http://gunczar.com/400hhmag.html

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have one although I'll have to look up some of my data. I used Quickload to get started and I don't have the data in front of me right now. But it likes medium powders like Varget, R-15, 748 and such. My loads were R-15 and I belive they were in the vicinity of starting loads for the 416 Rem. Case capacity in water is 95 grains for the H&H versus 97-98 for the 416.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate my info is slightly different from yours. Looking on the internet it tells us that the Rem 416 holds 101grns of water and the 400H&H holds 104grns of water. My 400 H&H cases from Quality Cartridge holds roughly 103grns not very good with the water stuff. My loads are giving me velocities 2300 to 2400 fps easily with out significant pressure signs and comfortable recoil. Dakota is advertising the 400H&H and in their adds they claim that Barnes will be offering loaded ammo in their VOR TEC line. It's a great looking cartridge reminds me of the 404 jeff with it's long neck.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Our numbers are probably different due to the method of weighing. My data is to the base of a generic bullet (usable case capacity). Yours sounds like full to the case mouth?

I like mine a lot. I'm shooting Woodleigh 400 grain bullets at 2400 without pressure too. I like to load down to the Hornady 300 gr bullet for the 405 Winchester for pigs and deer for most of my knock-around shooting. Around 2200 is fast enough for that bullet, although it devastates coyotes at 2500. I haven't had the gun out in a while. I'm glad this came up to remind me to dust it off this season!

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Our numbers are probably different due to the method of weighing. My data is to the base of a generic bullet (usable case capacity). Yours sounds like full to the case mouth?

I like mine a lot. I'm shooting Woodleigh 400 grain bullets at 2400 without pressure too. I like to load down to the Hornady 300 gr bullet for the 405 Winchester for pigs and deer for most of my knock-around shooting. Around 2200 is fast enough for that bullet, although it devastates coyotes at 2500. I haven't had the gun out in a while. I'm glad this came up to remind me to dust it off this season!

In what kind of rifle do you have the .400H&H?

Thanks, Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re-barreled a new Win Mod 70.375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tiggergate What powders are you using? RL 15 seems to work well for me for both 400gr and 300gr bullets but thinking of trying something slower. I have also been loading down for the Hornady 300gr but just came up with a nice 2600fps laod for the Barnes 300gr TSX.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just got back in town. Sorry for the delay. I'll check my load data later today. R-15 is all I remember using although there should be many suitable powdwers.

Mike, mine is built on a Remington Model 30 Express rifle.