Find
Notify
Tools

8x56R
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,
Just a quick question. I have a couple of huundred rounds of this ammo. They are in the stripper clips and original boxes. I am wondering if they are worth anything and if I should shoot them or not? I have the rifle also which I have never fired.
Do any of you know what the equivelant modern round to the 8x56R would be? just courious.
Thank you.
DS

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Presumably this is the 8mm Hungarian Mannlicher round.
The Nobel Industries Sporting Catalogue of 1925 list this cartridge with two loadings - 244 gr metal covered rn bullet;41 gr smokeless powder ; mv of 2034fps ; and a 154 gr metal covered pointed bullet ; 50 gr smokeless powder; mv of 2750fps. They could be ordered in clips of five .
I assume your cartridges to be military Eastern Bloc manufacture , but ballistically they will be similar to the Kynoch 154gr load above .
For comparison an 8mm Mauser ( 7.9 x 57mm ) is listed with 227gr metal covered rn bullet ; 41.5 gr smokeless powder ; mv of 2034 .
Hope that helps answer your question on what is it like . Cant help on what is it worth , have to leave that to guys based in the US who know the market. [Wink]

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Presumably this is the 8mm Hungarian Mannlicher round.
The Nobel Industries Sporting Catalogue of 1925 list this cartridge with two loadings

No, it doesn't.
The catalogue either lists the Austrian 8 x 50 R Steyr-Mannlicher, or the 8 x 56 Mannlicher-Sch�nauer.
The Hungarian round was introduced as an exclusively military cartridge in 1930; Austria followed suit in 1931.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I dont have any need to get into an argument , but my 1925 Nobels Industies catalogue lists and displays a cartridge that is called an 8mm (.315) Mannlicher Rifle , which is the information I posted in response to the original query. It also lists an 8mm Mannlicher - Schonauer cartridge , and the 8mm Mauser whose information I listed for comparison .

The illustrated 8mm Mannlicher cartridge looks remarkably like an 8 x 56R when compared to an actual specimen , and based on that premise , I posted the information in good faith. In the instance that I am incorrect - I apologise .

Perhaps someone else can supply the correct information?

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Bet your ammo has a swastika as part of the headstamp? This round was somewhat scarce up til 5-10 years ago when there was a pile of it brought in from somewhere behind the former Iron Curtain. Seems to bring about $10 a box these days, sometimes more, but it is one of the more plentiful oddball milsurp items at the moment.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the info. and your help.
Coues

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I dont have any need to get into an argument , but my 1925 Nobels Industies catalogue lists and displays a cartridge that is called an 8mm (.315) Mannlicher Rifle

A good argument (quite welcome here, I daresay [Smile] ) need not mean a quarrel or brawl, which I should be glad to avoid in this context. The 8mm Mannlicher was produced by Kynoch under that name well into the 1960s (I got some packs), but that was the 8 x 50 R.

This round was never "Hungarian" however - as I wrote, the .329" bullet cartridge was adopted for military service in Hungary and Austria, but I am not aware of any civilian loading of the latter.

Best regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Arguments are better left to the more politically oriented forums on this site , if you can get a word in edgeways between those who seem to have made a career of such pastimes.

I hope to continue to share information with those who request it , without making too big an ass of myself as I did on this occasion.

Thanks for the post , carcano . I fired a Carcano rifle once - kicked worse than a 303 Martini carbine ....... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]