The Accurate Reloading Forums
8x56R

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4321043/m/532104101

06 January 2003, 17:14
coues
8x56R
Hello,
Just a quick question. I have a couple of huundred rounds of this ammo. They are in the stripper clips and original boxes. I am wondering if they are worth anything and if I should shoot them or not? I have the rifle also which I have never fired.
Do any of you know what the equivelant modern round to the 8x56R would be? just courious.
Thank you.
DS
06 January 2003, 17:59
muzza
Presumably this is the 8mm Hungarian Mannlicher round.
The Nobel Industries Sporting Catalogue of 1925 list this cartridge with two loadings - 244 gr metal covered rn bullet;41 gr smokeless powder ; mv of 2034fps ; and a 154 gr metal covered pointed bullet ; 50 gr smokeless powder; mv of 2750fps. They could be ordered in clips of five .
I assume your cartridges to be military Eastern Bloc manufacture , but ballistically they will be similar to the Kynoch 154gr load above .
For comparison an 8mm Mauser ( 7.9 x 57mm ) is listed with 227gr metal covered rn bullet ; 41.5 gr smokeless powder ; mv of 2034 .
Hope that helps answer your question on what is it like . Cant help on what is it worth , have to leave that to guys based in the US who know the market. [Wink]
07 January 2003, 01:03
carcano91
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Presumably this is the 8mm Hungarian Mannlicher round.
The Nobel Industries Sporting Catalogue of 1925 list this cartridge with two loadings

No, it doesn't.
The catalogue either lists the Austrian 8 x 50 R Steyr-Mannlicher, or the 8 x 56 Mannlicher-Sch�nauer.
The Hungarian round was introduced as an exclusively military cartridge in 1930; Austria followed suit in 1931.

Regards,
Carcano
07 January 2003, 08:57
muzza
I dont have any need to get into an argument , but my 1925 Nobels Industies catalogue lists and displays a cartridge that is called an 8mm (.315) Mannlicher Rifle , which is the information I posted in response to the original query. It also lists an 8mm Mannlicher - Schonauer cartridge , and the 8mm Mauser whose information I listed for comparison .

The illustrated 8mm Mannlicher cartridge looks remarkably like an 8 x 56R when compared to an actual specimen , and based on that premise , I posted the information in good faith. In the instance that I am incorrect - I apologise .

Perhaps someone else can supply the correct information?
07 January 2003, 10:51
Iconoclast
Bet your ammo has a swastika as part of the headstamp? This round was somewhat scarce up til 5-10 years ago when there was a pile of it brought in from somewhere behind the former Iron Curtain. Seems to bring about $10 a box these days, sometimes more, but it is one of the more plentiful oddball milsurp items at the moment.
07 January 2003, 13:11
coues
Thank you for all the info. and your help.
Coues
14 January 2003, 07:46
carcano91
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I dont have any need to get into an argument , but my 1925 Nobels Industies catalogue lists and displays a cartridge that is called an 8mm (.315) Mannlicher Rifle

A good argument (quite welcome here, I daresay [Smile] ) need not mean a quarrel or brawl, which I should be glad to avoid in this context. The 8mm Mannlicher was produced by Kynoch under that name well into the 1960s (I got some packs), but that was the 8 x 50 R.

This round was never "Hungarian" however - as I wrote, the .329" bullet cartridge was adopted for military service in Hungary and Austria, but I am not aware of any civilian loading of the latter.

Best regards,
Carcano
14 January 2003, 09:29
muzza
Arguments are better left to the more politically oriented forums on this site , if you can get a word in edgeways between those who seem to have made a career of such pastimes.

I hope to continue to share information with those who request it , without making too big an ass of myself as I did on this occasion.

Thanks for the post , carcano . I fired a Carcano rifle once - kicked worse than a 303 Martini carbine ....... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]