New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unknown Bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a loaded round that my Father-in-Law had in his junk drawer. It appears to be a 45 cal. ( measured the bullet @ .450 with calipers) but has brass like you see on Blazer ammo that CCI sells (silver). It's a FMJ, but it's not brass, it's silver in color. The primer is dented, but did not fire.
The headstamp is; HI-YO REA AWAAAY.
He was in the Marines, during WW II. He passed away last August so no can ask him.
Anyone know what I have???
Thanks,
Bulldog...

Posts: 141 | Location: Ruston, Louisiana | Registered: 09 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I believe it is a 'promotional' item, from a trucking company, REA Express.

It was probably inert to begin with.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Your cartridge is definately a promo give away , there are several others out there of similar ilk - including a Lone Ranger version if my memory serves me correctly .
Not to be confused with the multitude of toy gun cartridges , many of whom have headstamps as well . Most of them are made in Japan and dont conform to any true calibre , but some are copies of existing cartridges . Todays piece of interesting but irelevant information..... [Smile]

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,
He (father-in-law) was in the retail business and could have been given the bullet. It looks as if someone stuck the round in a gun and tried to fire it. The primer is pierced and caved in some.
Thanks again,
Bulldog...

Posts: 141 | Location: Ruston, Louisiana | Registered: 09 September 2001Reply With Quote