New
Find
Notify
Tools

OKH-Calibers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for all Info i can get about OKH Cartridges.
Lot of Questions.....

Ther´s been a .424 OKH Round. From what i´ve found it was based on a .375H&H Case. But WHAT is the correct Bullet Diam ??? Is that a .423" like the 404Jeff.?? Or something different??

I also found TWO Rounds named .333"OKH one based on a .30-06 the other on a .300H&H or .375H&H. Did they both exsist?

Got only one Artikle from a Rifle Magazine about O´Neil-Keith-Hopkins.
Would it be wrong to say that O´Neil was the "Technician", Keith was the Guy with the "Design-Ideas" and Hopkins was the "Cash-Man" to finance all of the Job....??

Mayby someone there having moore knowledge??

Best + Thanx

2RECON

Posts: 140 | Location: GERMANY | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
2Recon

I believe the .333 OKH was the 3006 case and was basiclly todays version of the 338-06.

Now the other .333 you are refering to is actually the .334 OKHthat was based on the .375/.300 H@H that was the Elmers version of the .340 Weatherby (kinda) that it does predate.

I could be wrong but thats what I read if I recall.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2RECON:
Lot of Questions.....

I also found TWO Rounds named .333"OKH one based on a .30-06 the other on a .300H&H or .375H&H. Did they both exsist?

2RECON

The 300H&H is a 334OKH, I have a 1903 Rock Island Springfield in 333okh that is based off of the 30'06 shooting 333 Jeffery bullets...300 grains.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually there were 2 .333 OKH cartridges, one based on the necked up 30/06 and another one based on the 375 H&H shortened and necked down WITHOUT fireforming.

The 334 OKH was based on the full lenght and fireformed 375 H&H case

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently read 2 articles written by Don Hopkins in 1950 (Sept & Oct) for American Rifleman. He was reporting in on experiences while on a 6 mo safari trialing 300 gr bullets in their 334, plus some other guns. Story was written in the format of a letter to Charlie & Elmer. Good stuff & worth looking up.
The bio indicates that he was quite the hunter, at 50 yrs of age he had spent more than 6 years hunting. Also credits O'Neil with inventing duplex loads.

Posts: 44 | Location: Finger Lakes NY | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lifted from another site:

"Elmer Keith is most known for his work on the .44 Magnum but he is credited with working on a bunch of wildcats that I read in his book as well as some others he expeirmented with including....
.250 O'neil Magnum
.285 O.K.H.
.333 O.K.H.
.334 O.K.H.
.424 O.K.H.
.475 O.K.H.
.276 Dubiel
.280 Dubiel

It is said in his book that the .333 O.K.H., that O'neil and Hopkins, wanted the cartridge in a belted Magnum case and with a slight variation the .338 Win Mag was made.

He also says in his book that his .334 O.K.H., was placed in a magnum case and necked down from .375H&H by O'neil and with another slight variation it is today the .340 weatherby Magnum.

He also introduced the "Duplex loading" which was placing inside the case a copper tube to ignite the powder at the front of the case just behind the bullet."

What this writer calls duplex loading is really "front ignition", although these old boys did try duplex (two different powders) loads as well.

I still do, putting 10 gr of 2400 under 2F in my 45-70 Browning High Wall as it runs cleaner.

Another link on the 333 OKH:
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w333okh.html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2RECON:
Lot of Questions.....

Ther´s been a .424 OKH Round. From what i´ve found it was based on a .375H&H Case. But WHAT is the correct Bullet Diam ??? Is that a .423" like the 404Jeff.?? Or something different??

Got only one Artikle from a Rifle Magazine about O´Neil-Keith-Hopkins.
Would it be wrong to say that O´Neil was the "Technician", Keith was the Guy with the "Design-Ideas" and Hopkins was the "Cash-Man" to finance all of the Job....??

Mayby someone there having moore knowledge??

Best + Thanx

2RECON

The 333 OKH was the 1st 333 cartridge that OKH came up with. The 2nd was the 334 OKH on the full length H&H case. The 3rd was called the 333 OKH Belted based on the H&H case cut down to 2.5 inches. I've seen the barrel on one of these rifles by O'Neill stamped 333 OKH B. I believe Bob Hagel had the 3rd cartridge on a 1917 Enfield action.

Posts: 16 | Location: Billings, Montana | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote