New
Find
Notify
Tools

ID
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found a cartridge case at the range the other day that has me a bit puzzled. Head stamp "IVI 9mm 04"
It is a 2 part case, lower section brass approx 13.5 mm long, looks like a shortened .380 case. Projecting from case a 2 diameter white plastic section which is crimped into the brass case. OAL about 24.2 mm. The end of the plastic section is about 9.6 mm od (brass is about 9.85 mm). Plastic section is hollow down to primer, the upper section id is about 7.7 mm. I can send a photo to anyone if they want to post it. So, what is it and what does it fit, some sort of simunition or practice round? OAL is too long for a standard 9x19 chamber, probably too long for a .38 super.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use google. Seach on IVI 9mm and variations.
IVI I think is a Canadian manufacturer.

I think they were paintball / practice rounds.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's one of the "Simunition" types IE marker rounds used to simulate real ammunition during training exercises. There was originally a round nose "paint ball" in the hollow cavity. The end of the white plastic section is (visually) even with a 9x19 case on a unfired "round" (I don't have a fired round to compare to)
They leave a paint spot on the "Victim". A special barrel is used to prevent the usage of real ammo.

IIRC IVI is Israeli, and IMI is Canadian.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, that is exactly what it is. Was wondering if you used a special barrel for these or if they would work in a standard barrel. I know a few people that have rained with this stuff and from what they say it is a real eye opener.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spell checker doesn't know diff. btw 'rained' and 'trained', go figure.

C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, we used to get shot with Wax pellets out of a revolver.
Some ended up with nice bruises. Not sure OH&S would allow it now.

Soon taught you to make sure you were protected from fire !!! LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote