New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portuguese 8x57
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am at the end of a batch of Portuguese 8x57mm JS that I have shot through Czech and German Mauser rifles. It is marked 1939 on the box and "PCH 39" on the headstamp. I have had only one dud in about 100 rounds, and pulled it to weigh the boat tail bullet, which came in at 197.5gr. I am not looking for a value, just thought it was not something you see at the gun show every day. I had read about the German change to the "schweres Spitzer" bullets around WWII, but had not realized that so many others had also done so, as this and my much later Yugo ammo all had bullets that weighed around 198-199gr.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b0400879
posted Hide Post
This is some pretty early Porty ammo, & corrosive.

For comparison, Weimar Germany had to abandon heavy (schweres) lead-core projectiles by the mid-late 30's due to strategic (war) materials shortages: so steel cored-bullets, steel bullet jackets & steel cases were quite the norm by 1939. In addition, the proj weight dropped rapidly from 198gr (in several revisions/steps) to 146gr by WW2's end.

I've bought/shot/sold 1000's of the late, non-corrosive 198gr Porty over the decades & still have 22 sealed crates of it.
The later Porty headstamps read "FNM" w/ '70's dates, & it's very consistent fodder: aka the "gold standard" of 8x57JS.

Posts: 86 | Location: Seychelles | Registered: 04 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, and offhand, I don't remember the year, the surplus Port. .308 is some really fine ammo, shooting right in there with Lake City Match. AFAIK there is none available in the surplus market right now.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote