New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In one of my mad swapping trading episodes I acquired a cartridge collection. I don't know anything at all about collecting cartridges. I don't have the time, space, or energy to sort file and research this collection. I would like to sell it as is in one lot.

Just looking through it I saw these unusual cartidges. 25 jap, 35 sl?, 25 stevens, 310 Kynock, 28-30 stevens,
405 Win 50-70, 35 win, 56 Requa??, 58 berdan, etc. Tnere are some notes that indicate that there is a 45 peabody sporting?

Below is a picture.

would somebody please give me a honest opinion of what a good price would be to sell this at?? I want who ever buys it to feel they got a good , even a great deal, but at the same time I don't want to sell it at 1/10th of what it is worth. Wink

Thanks in advance for any suggestions here.
Ernest

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernest

I typed a long reply but it disappeared into cyberspace when I tried to post it so here goes again.

It looks like you have about 150 to 200 cartridges. Do not count the shotgun shells, they are worth next to nothing. Most appear to be what we collectors call a "general" collection. Even the ones you mentioned are, for the most part, fairly common to collectors even though many shooters may not be familiar with them.

Common cartiridges are worth only 50 cents to 1 dollar each. Even the better ones will seldom bring more than $5. But selling an entire collection is another thing altogether. You will not get the full value of the individual cartridges simply because anyone buying the collection probably has many of them already and is looking to acquire the few that he needs. The rest will be used as trading stock.

So, I'd say that between $100 and $200 would be a fair price assuming you can find someone who wants them all. You'd have to add UPS Ground shipping also.

Don't be tempted to sell off individual cartridges unless you are certain you can sell enough of them to equal what you'd get for the entire bunch. By letting guys cherry pick you only end up with the big majority of them that would have liitle value.

You asked a tough question. This is my best SWAG, for what it's worth.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray Thank you very much for the response.

I knew that is a very very tough question. I would be happy with 100.00 and shipping. If any one here is interested let me know. I will put them on classifed at some point. They need to go to a good home.

Thanks again for the prompt response.
Ernest

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes I have no interest in selling individual carts.
e

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

One of Us
Picture of Bigbird34
posted Hide Post
ELS,I have sent you a P.M.if you don't receive it please contact me regarding this collection that you are selling at jhajlambert@comcast.net

TIA BB34

Posts: 126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote