New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headstamp question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have several old cartridges with the U.M.C. headstamp. There is also the letters S and H on the headstamp. Example .45-85 UMC SH. What does the S and H stand for? Please advise.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro

S H stands for Solid Head. As compared to the older and weaker folded head construction.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sendaro:

If I remember correctly, they stand for "Solid Head", to differentiate these cases (with less powder capacity and greater strength) from the old balloon-head cases.

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. I think that answers my question. It would stand to reason that they would want to put that on the newer casing. As I understand it the old folded head casing would not take the pressures. Funny how after all this that they still dont make casing that will take more then 60,000 units of pressure without the primer pockets getting too big. I know that there have been attempts to address this problem, but the few never caught on.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote