THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CARTRIDGE COLLECTING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone identify this headstamp........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
I have about 100 rounds of Nickel plated 44 mag. brass that has TEXAS on the top and 44MAG on the bottom of the head of the case and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it such as was it some kind of special run, dufunct company, major company, reloading company or what?

Steve E..........

[ 05-30-2003, 04:17: Message edited by: Steve E. ]

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
<thender>
posted
Man! I have looked through every single peice of reference material I have (including news letters) and I can't find any reference to TEXAS.... It must be a proprietary cartridge / headstamp of some kind.... Sure would like to know what it is! Do ya, Maybe, Have an extra for sale or trade? I'll keep looking, though, to figure out this conodrum of yours.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
I TEXAS on the top and 44MAG on the bottom ....

I've looked through a few of my notes, but can't find the correct paper. I recall reading an article about "your own headstamp". IIRC, Midway would make (or have made) short runs of special headstamps. The article showed pictures of several special headstamps: JIM; TOM; TEXAS; being the ones I remember. The article said that TEXAS was only placed on the MAGNUM caliber cases (357 and 44)! I'll keep looking for the magazine.

As a collector, I'm always interested in "Vanity HeadStamps"--like Thender, I'd love to purchase one or two from you!

the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway was the source for that brass w/ the Texas hdstamp. I purchased a whole lot of nickel-plated brass in 45ACP during the nineties, for falling plates competition.

Seemed to be of good quality, lasting 15-20 reloads per case, finally splitting at the "neck" OTOH, they were fairly mild loads.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
With the help of a gentleman from another forum I found out that the brass came from Midway, Ace Hindman and his son had them make up a few thousand and Midway must have made some for themselves also. Thanks for all the help.

Steve E.........

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone is still interested, the article is in Gun Digest #49 (1995), pp 65-67: "Boutique Cartridges are Here" by Holt Bodinson. The article has pictures of (amoung others) 'TEXAS' on 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 ACP cases; BILL, BOB, JIM, JOHN cases; 'COOPER' on 45 ACP; 'JORDAN' on 357 Mag; and 'KEITH' on 44 Mag cases.

I am interested in purchasing one or two cases of EACH of these headstamps---live, fired, new, split, mangled,---any condition as long as the headstamp is legible.

THANKs, the_captn

(edited to correct spelling of Bodinson's name)

[ 06-15-2003, 03:16: Message edited by: captnemo ]

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
<thender>
posted
Count me in on The Captn's stake, too.... I would like ta get my hands on anything like those Headstamps! Allways needing new material.... And I have a few specimens for trade also. [Razz]