Tools

Westley Richards Explora?
 Login/Join

<QuarterIncherNV>
posted
I found this at a gunshow this past weekend:
W R Explora or:
http://www.geocities.com/bttg1/cartridges/Explora.html

This is a first for me. I've searched through all of my reference material and found one quick mention of an "Explorer" round. Anyone care to share the history of this type of round?

By the way, very interesting projectile. "WESTLEY RICHARDS" followed by a patent number deeply impressed just above the case neck.

Thanks in advance.

<Tom Fort>
posted
That is a nice find. They will average around $45.00 at auction. I'm not up on the history but they come in a number of variations. One in my collection is the "Super Magnum Explora" and the capped bullet extends a little longer from the case with an exposed ring of lead visible.I believe that the case is a little longer also. Another is the Westley Richards "Grouse Ejector" that has a two piece rounded Copper/brass projectile. Hard to figure where they came up with the name Grouse Ejector in a bulleted round?????
Good hunting! Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Explora was intended for an "all purpose" gun for African explorers who weren't specifically hunting but needed a weapon for self-defence and shooting small game for the pot. It was basically a shotgun, but with the ability to fire heavy bullets against larger game. In principle not dissimilar to a modern shotgun with a slug load, but I think that the guns were built stronger (more like a double rifle) to take higher-pressure loadings for better performance. I'm trying to remember whether or not the barrels were rifled, but it was a long time ago that I read about them...

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] your Westley Richards Explora cartridge is the 2 1/2" version , and probably less common than Tom Forts later Super Magnum Explora , of which more later .
The earliest versions of the Explora cartridge were loaded with Westley Richards patented "L.T." capped round nosed projectile . This was a shaped metal - usually copper or brass nose cap and hollow body with the lead cast onto it to make a base heavy bullet with a huge open cavity internally .L T stands for Leslie Taylor , employee and inventor of the capped bullet , seen also in rifle calibres , notably the .425 and .318.

The later pointed style projectile , as yours is , has a smaller cavity in the nose , and the patent number stamped peripherally around the forward side of the projectile shoulder .The projectile was held in the case by several types of crimp , usually stabcrimps , but also a coning of the case mouth is noted .Projectile weight is listed as 730 grains , powder is special cordite.
The cartridge was developed about the late 1880's- early 90's for use in double rifle type guns which featured a smoothbore on one side and a barrel with either very light rifling , or just rifling at the muzzle . Westley Richards obviously sold his own guns and supplied the cartridges , but other gunmakers used the same principle. My 1910 Jefferey catalogue shows the shot and ball gun the " Shikari" combining a powerfull rifle and a handy , reliable shot gun , for use in India , Africa , the Colonies , and for general field use .Prices start at fifteen pound and reach twentyfive pound for the better actioned and better finished versions .

The Super Magnum Explora was loaded in a 2 3/4" case with a heavier cordite charge , with either a bluff solid bullet for close range work , or the elongated capped bullet bearing the interesting patent number and copper cap , for distances that required better accuracy. The projectile in the Super Magnum has a visible lead driving band extending beyond the case mouth - a longer projectile than your " ordinary" loading - and the case mouth is usually crimped with a massive serrated style crimp , or conversley with an annular ring rolled into a corresponding cannelure in the bullet.The idea of the heavy crimp was to counter the recoil of the rifle when only one barrel was fired repeatedly - usually the right one -, this causing the projectile in the other barrel to work forward out of the case. The later Super Magnum Explora cartridges date from the 1930's.

Various of the British Gunmakers sold these style of gun , with exotic names such as Joseph Lang & Sons "Afrindia " , Charles Lancasters " Colindian" and Westley Richards " Fauneta " for which you sometimes see paper cased shotshell/cartridges so named and loaded with the LT capped projectile . The Fauneta was essentially a 20 gauge version of the Explora , but has a nice range of cartridges , attractive colours and nice case prints.

Hope that helps..... [Wink]

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote