New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identifying 8mm cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At the range this morning, I found several cases that I could not identify even using COTW. Rimmed case, 55.6mm in length, inside neck measures .326. The case head markings are divided into quadrants--left quad 19, right quad 38 so year is 1938. The top quad has the roman numeral V111 and the lower quad has a nazi eagle. The case has a long sloping neck much like a 300 H&H. Looks like a king sized .22 hornet. Any ideas?? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob

Probably 8 x 56Rmm. Lots of it for sale on GunBroker. Just type in nazi and you'll find it.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. Is the round used in double or combination guns? Is it a sporting cartridge? My COTW did not list it in the Euro section.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob

It was originally a military round so will be listed in that category under 8x56Rmm Austrian/Hungarian Mannlicher. I would guess that most of the ammo is shot in surplus Mannlichers. Gunbroker auction # 48480117 has some good photos.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found it in the mil section. Thanks Ray.
Bob