New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info on old 45-70 case
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found on old 45-70 case. Appears to be an old balloon head case with no primer pocket. Just above the rim is a indented ring. It also appears to be copper instead of brass. Head stamp from L to R is 8 80. On top is a C and bottom an F. What can you tell me about this case. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
From your description you have a Frankford Arsenal loaded carbine case , made in August of 1880. The case was made of copper , and used a black power load of probably 55 grains of black powder and a 405 grain rn lead bullet.

If you care to describe the case head a little better I may be able to offer better suggestions as to the primer type , other than it is an internal centerfire , most likely the Benet primed version.

Is the head of the case flat or does it have a raised portion with a beveled edge? Also the height and style of the crimps above the rim - annular all the round or segmented. Height above the rim ?

Does any of that help ? A picture or two would help as well , maybe ....?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ring is about 1/4 inch above the rim and has two small gaps like it was crimped in a two, piece die. From the inside one can see two primer holes, but no external primer pocket can be seen. The head has a flat bevel around the rim. I will try to get some pictures posted, but I doubt my point and shoot camera can capture the details needed.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I'll stick with Benet primed centerfire , given the description. Nice cartridge .

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second the Benet primed case. Some years ago a friend here at work brought a case in that he picked up out in the prairie that he wanted identified (probably only guy in the place with COTW on his desk). Turned out to be a 50-70 with Benet primer. Only one I have ever seen. I would really like to know who dropped it and when.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This case was found in the bottom of a steep sided canyon on a scree (talus) slope. There was a game trail so it is obvious they were coming along it. I hope they were having a good day and shot some game. If not,who ever was shooting at then had the high ground. The area is known for indian skirmishes, so who knows.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
To be that early date , and Benet primed suggests it was carried by a soldier or cavalry member - being a carbine .

But then again , Bannermans and others sold mil-surp ammo back then too so it may have been dropped at a considerably later date than the headstamp suggests. The 45-70 was popular as a mil-surp rifle too amongst hunters and ranchers of the day so who knows? This is the stuff that makes that old cartridge interesting ... ;-)