New
Find
Notify
Tools

J.C. Higgins Shotgun Shells
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was recently given several boxes of old shotgun shells. Is there any way to figure their approximate age?

The first shells in question are 12 ga. 2 3/4" JCHiggins Sportload shotgun shells. They have 6 fold red paper tubes with case head marked 'Sears 12 ga. Sportload'.

The next shells in question are 12 ga. 2 3/4" Remington Express. These have a green ribbed paper tube marked 'Remington Express Kleanbore' and 'EXTRA LONG RANGE' with a yellow covering over the crimp marked with the dram equiv., shot weight and shot size. Case head markings are 'Remington 12 ga. Express'.

The third shells in question are 2 1/2" 410 ga. Western Super X shot shells. They have smooth red paper tubes with a roll crimp.

The fourth shells in question are 12 ga. 2 3/4" Federal Monark shot shells. They have smooth red unmarked paper tubes with a roll crimp and white over-shot wad with dram equiv., shot weight, and shot size.

The last shells in question are 12 ga. 2 3/4" Federal Hi-Power. They have smooth unmarked red paper tubes with a roll crimp and white over the shot wad marked 'MAXIMUM 6 LOAD'.

A rough 'guestimate' of their age would be appreciated. TIA!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Sounds just like the shells I had when I started hunting in 1954. Those paper wrap shells have a very nostalgic smell to me when fired. Smells like rabbit hunting on my grandparents farm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
xs headspace, I find these old shells extremely interesting.

These were given to me by a little old widow lady who just wanted a safe way to dispose of the shells. I sent her a nice thank-you card and a small fruit basket.

Well..... she addressed her local women's club and NOW I'm getting VERY MANY calls to pick up ammo! thumb

Most of the stuff is of no collector interest, just plain modern ammunition (which I pass on to friends and my gun club's youth program).

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on shotshells, but photos of the boxes and shells (incl. headstamps) would be very helpful.

That said, these would be roughly 1935 - 1955 production. There would be some slight premium to them, the Monarks in particular. But in my view, their highest and best use would be in the field. There is something very special about the odor of a freshly fired paper shotshell . . . if only for the memories of the "good old days" hunting with my parents. thumb

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote