New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x68 Schuler?
 Login/Join

<Metrix>
posted
Is the 9.3x68 a Schuler design? I think it might be as they also made the 6.5x68, and the 8x68. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I don't want to shatter your illusions , but none of the cartridges you mention are actually Schuler products. The 6.5 x 68 is actually the 6.5 x 68 RWS Magnum with a dubious and unproven history as to being developed by Schuler ; the 8 x 68(S?) is a RWS product from 1939, rimmed and rimless ; and the 9.3 x 68 could be a 9.3 x 70 or one of the shorter case lengths, but there doesnt appear to be an actual 68mm length listed . Brenneke and RWS loaded a variety of case lengths in 9.3 but not a 68mm case.
To return to the Schuler line of cartridges , there are five listed , the smallest being the aforementioned spurious origins 6.5 x 68 from RWS in 1939 ; the 11.2 x 60 Schuler which is a rimless version of the 11.15 x 60R M71 Mauser military cartridge , featuring the typical Schuler heavily rebated rim - from ca.1906 ; the 11.2 x 72 Schuler ( ca.1910 ) for mauser type rifles ; the 11.2 x 72R , a very scarce rimmed version of the previous , dated to as early as 1909 ; and the 12.2 x 70 Schuler aka .500 Jeffery/ 500 Schuler. Dated from 1928 , this may or may not be an English cartridge , but it is impressive anyway.

I dont know if that answers your question , raises a whole lot more , confuses you or bores you - but hell , you asked , and I'm just quoting my associate Mr Dixon from his European Sporting Cartridges book(s). cheers.mds

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PAC NOR BARREL in Oregon list a 9.3x68 ( wilcat ??? ) but I don't know more on this caliber

Note : I own a 9.3x64 and that powerfull enought for me ( a real power house ) equal to 375 HH whith factory ammo and factory component available .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Metrix>
posted
Thanks for the info, guys. Muzza, I have no illusions, and apparently no clue when it comes to Schuler cartriges either! [Big Grin]
I was just curious as Ellwood Epps Sporting Goods in Canada actually stocks it!

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
no worries. Up until Brad Dixon wrote his two volumes on metric sporting cartridges there was no realistic reference work on metrics , save for the "foreign" language catalogues and the likes of Buttweillers auction lists. Often times the information was unsubstantiated and lost meaning due to bad translation . I dont mean to demean those who assembled information , but Metric Sporting was the hardest collecting field to actually identify correctly , and that is why few people bothered to collect them . I donthave much of a line up , for that very reason . now I prefer to try and help others identify thier metrics , except for military , and then we will race each other to the goodies ....

I suspect that Elwood Epps has identified the cartridge as it was identified to him. Without an acurate reference we all just go on blind faith and hope the guy we bought it off was honest and knew what he was talking about .cheers.mds [Big Grin]

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Metrix do you have a 9.3x68 round that you would trade?

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Metrix>
posted
Bear Claw- no, I don't have one. I noticed brass for this mysterious round for sale, and not being familiar with this round, I thought I'd ask the guys on this forum if they had any knowledge of it. Sorry! [Frown]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It would make great cartridge trading material. What was the price per box?

[ 08-30-2002, 16:57: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Metrix>
posted
Bear Claw-They don't list a price on their web site, they just list it as being available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x68 is a wildcat by necking up the 8x68 case to 9.3 cal.I'm not sure if it retains the same shoulder or not. It creates a very powerfull round approaching 375 Wby ballistics.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearclaw I'm not sure what they are worth in your part of the world but brass for my 6.5x68 and 8x68 are close to$1.75 per case plus shipping ,when you can find it! That is for RWS brass.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a big quantity of once fired case in 8x68S ( most are RWS ) if some are interesting let me know by mail

dantecfrance@aol.com

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote