New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-4000 wildcat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone provide information on the wildcat 22-4000 Schmidt (or Schmitt)? It is made from the 6.5 M-S case. Presumably, it would go 4000 ft/sec!

thanks, the_captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this is the same ctge but Ackley describes a 22/6.5 MS with the following ballistics (25" barrel )-

50gr Bullet 35gr of 4320 powder 3550 fps
38 4064 3963
39 4064 3875
55gr bullet 34 4320 3278

Any help ? No names mentioned in the text so not sure if this is the same , although it is for the 6.5mm Mannlicher Schoenaur rifle .

Stop press - new book ! Simmons mentions the 22-4000 Schmitt as being designed by Con V Schmitt of Minneapolis Mn. he states that the case has a medium sloping shoulder , which worked well a few years back ( printed in 1947 remember ) with the older powders but does not give the finest efficiency with latest powders as the shoulder angle is not so abrupt as it should be for best results . No illustration here either .

Ed Reynolds would be the man who would know more if there is more to know .....Hockeypuck , where are you ...

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In another thread, someone mentioned Simmons book. I know that Ed has a copy of it. I've seen it for sale but at well over 100US$, I can't justify if (yet---can I even justify cartridge collecting?!!)
Thanks for the info.

the_captn

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of a .22-4000 Sedgley-Schneering that was made off the 7 x 57 case in the 1940's, but the only wildcat made by Con Schmidt that I can remember is the Streamline.
Sorry for the brief reply, but I'm just taking a break from packing. Heading out to Oklahoma for a few days (via Chicago, if you can believe it!) I'll look it up in Simmons later on this week.
Appreciate the kind words, gentlemen. I'll try to live up to them.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some cartridges out on loan, but remember one that was a .22-5000. It was part of the Simmons collection. It was pretty strange looking and I took a photo of it. I'll email the photo to you.
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Capt - you can't own every cartridge , but with a good book you can at least identify what you have , and help others identify thiers as well , 'course with wildcats there are so many variants that naming every one is nigh impossible . The Simmons book is good , been out of print since the 1940's and is scarce , but with a little persistance you will find one for less than $100. Also the 2 vol set of Ackely cartridges is worth having , as is Practical Dope on the .22 by F C Ness . They turn up on E-Barf pretty often , or the gunauction sites have them as well .

Neat cartridges there H-P wouldnt mind a specimen of either of them myself ....

cheers

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Ackley describes a 22/6.5 MS

I dug up a copy of Ackley. My cartridge looks like an IMPROVED version of what he has pictured. The cartridge in the book didn't quite reach 4000 ft/sec, so this improved version may have been an attempt at that speed.

Ed: thanks for mentioning the Streamlined. I also have a sample of the 22 Streamlined. As you know, I live in Minnesota, so it's likely that I have two of Schmitt's wildcats!

Thanks to all.

the_captn

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
guys - the real problem with wildcats is that every backyard machinist could make his own version of the chamber reamer , and they were/are all different! Hence the variation in case measurements for the supposedly same cartridge. This also makes identification less than simple , cos everyone has their pet casetype that no-one else knows about . But hey - its all good fun and you meet the nicest type of weirdos collecting cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Captnemo,

I'd appreciate the dimensions and case capacities of both, if you get the chance.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
This evening I searched my boxes and bags of cartridges that I haven't cataloged yet and I found a .22-5000 Ashurst Magnum on a .275 H&H Magnum case and a case marked by Simmons as .22-4000. Unfortunately, it's on a .303 British case. I'll keep looking for the Schmidt, but anything found would be printed info only as I'm sure now that I don't have one in my collection.
Regards,
HockeyPuck