Find
Notify
Tools

Lamenting of a Newbie Cartridge Collector
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
There is a lot more to know about collecting cartridges that I imagined. I am focusing on Nitro British and Metric Cartridges that may have been used in Africa. There are a lot more British Cartridges that I imagined! As soon as I think I have a good list of cartridges to collect I find another one listed somewhere.

In the beginning, I found myself paying too much for a number of cartridges that I now pickup for much less.

I have paid for cartridges that were not what the seller said they were. I did not know any better both in person, auction sites and internet.

I have paid for ammo in boxes that did not have all the correct cartridges with correct bullets in the box.

I found shipping makes cartridges expensive. I try to buy as many at a time now or have seller hold them for me until I buy more. Auction premiums significantly raise the cost of the cartridge.

I am amazed at the number of shippers who ship ammo via the post office versus UPS. Yes, live ammo.

I have found or seen a couple of cartridges that were not in “Cartridges of the World” or “History and Development of Small Arms Ammunition.”

I have been doing this for about 3 months now and I have found most of the British Nitro Calibers with Kynoch Head-stamps. Now I am trying to find duplicates but with Jeffery, Purdey, Eley, Westley Richards….head-stamps.

I need to learn more about the bullets themselves. Did H&H ever make 500 NE Hollow points or did someone drill a hole in them in their garage?

I have met and talked to some very nice interesting people

I enjoyed the North East Ohio Ammo Show and looking forward to the International Show St. Louis next week. I have a lot to learn and what an expensive learning curve.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If you are going to seriously collect cartridges you need to seriously collect reference books too

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True that. And that goes for any kind of collector. I recently picked up a reference book of values on Snap-On tools memorabilia. Amazing the prices they are saying these items are worth. I still have all m old girly catalouges in the attic from the early 80's ($75.00 ea.)key fobs,letter openers,belt buckels,hats,ad nauseum.I've still got all that stuff + don't really care about selling but the end result is all the same;What will the market bear?Just because a reference book (the Blue Book for example) says a product is worth so much,does not mean that someone will pay that.But I do agree that before you begin collecting ANYTHING you become very knowledgable on the subject.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant to say calendars instead of catalogs in the above post.I have collected coins + stamps most of my life.Still looking for that 1943 copper penny (only 100 minted)all the rest were steel due to the war effort.Was in a coin + stamp store in the earl 80's + saw a 1934 airmail 50 cent stamp for $575.00. I asked the guy about the price.He said,"Because in 1934,no one had 50 cents + if they did,they would'nt spend it on a stamp.Makes sense. Several years ago I was going through my banks drive through + after making a deposit I wanted a $20.00 back in cash.The lady gave me a new looking minted series 1934 $20.00.I asked her if she had any more + she said,What,$20.00's?I said no, like this one.She said let me see + I said it's not getting out of my hands.Somebody must have looted Grandmas box.Just for curiosities sake,I wonder how many 20's were printed in 1934.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
You were on the ball not to hand back that 1934 twenty dollar bill. That was a great find.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its interesting as well. It still has Jackson on the front but on the back the White House does not have the 2 side additions + the trees in front look to be just planted.It is a darker green in color as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago a friend of mine's wife worked a convenience store in town. Harold would go there in the morning with her to get set up for the day.One morning he was cracking the coin rolls into the register + discovered several rolls of silver quarters + dimes.Another Grandma looting I fear.Obviously Harold took the money out of his billfold + exchanged it for all the silver coins.On a sadder note a secretary I once knew,her mother (not the sharpest knife in the drawer) had mucho silver certificate bills + to keep them safe she went to her bank + deposited them thinking she could get her own back whenever she wanted.Had never heard of a safety deposit box.She threw a fit when she went to get her bills back + they told her the truth.I feel sure that those bills went the same way as Harold's silver coins.If it were me I would damn sure have snagged them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC:

That's the line of bullshit my sis
told me about Mom's old coins.
Bunch of Silver certifs, $2 bills,
Some Morgan's, couple or four rolls
of Mercury dimes.

"coin stores up here (Loveland CO) said
they're only worth face value so I deposited
them in the bank for that".

Think I believed for half a second you're nuts!
That was in' 11.
THe last couple months she's mentioned that 'she
is now collecting coins. OHHHH Yeah?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well George, to a point you are correct. They are only worth face value as a coin of the realm. About 40 years ago I went into a coin shop to browse + bought something + the old gent gave me in my change a buffalo nickel. I asked him if he meant to do that + he said "Of course, you can't even read the date, so it's worth a nickel. I love to give them to little kids in their change + watch their faces. Most of them just try to get out of the store as fast as [possible."