New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for displaying cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for some suggestions on how to wall mount a display of cartridges. I've seen a few but have not been impresed. I collect old centerfire cartridges and wildcats.

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Personally I dislike the vertical row display method - its hard to mount them with using " glue " to stop them falling over, and when they are mounted that way you cant see the headstamps ....

I dont know a satisfactory and easy way of mounting cartridges this way that works , I guess thats why most of us mount the things in flat trays or drawers .

Maybe if you have some woodworking skills you can make individual holes for the cartridge bases to fit into . then you would know they wont fall over and you can lift them out to see the headstamps . Thats my only good suggestion . Good luck!

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do put mine standing upright on shelves without fixing them down (I see a shot of my collection is used at the start of this board!). OTOH I don't have any kids or animals in the house

I occasionally knock one over by accident and this can lead to a 'domino effect', but I reckon that's a minor problem. I might look into drawers for the smaller stuff in the future, though.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion
forum

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm still looking and will post what ever I find in the long run of things. Do any of you have suggestions for cleaning and keeping that new bright look to cartdidges for extended time? At present I am using a non-abrasive cleaner, and then using a polymer car wax to coat. The cartridge is then placed in a small ziplock plastic bag with information on a 3X5 card. They stay clean and bright but it makes for a less then satisfying display.

Many ammunition collectors do not clean the ammo (other than removing superficial corrosion) as that inevitably abrades some of the surface away each time it is done. Protective coatings are also not usually applied. Either could reduce the value of a rare historical cartridge.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Tomas's cabinet

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have made my displays in wood. With approx. 1" dept on the shelfs. I've tilted the whole frame a bit. So the lower part of the frame is further from the wall than the upper part. That way I can have my cartridges standing on it's head without any fixing. And slamming in the door does'nt affect my collection.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=285881&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

The pictures dont show this too good. My collection is much bigger now, than it was when this picture was taken.

Two tips:
Make smaller rooms in the frame, or simply have the shelfs well filled. Then the cartridges dont fall so easily sideways.

Posts: 735 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote