Find
Notify
Tools

Age of this 38 S&W Ammo (w/pics)?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
Here's some pics. The 3/4 full box was given to my father recently and I think its about circa 1902-1910, but I'm not sure.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lemon Squeezer was the nickname of the handgun that fired the S&W 38 ammo,a friend of mine had one and I took her out shooting in the desert to get used to it.

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Ummm....what? Do you know the age of this ammo?

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old4x4, I'm not an expert on dating ammo. But there are a few clues on the label that will give you the approximate date of manufacture.

Note that it says these cartridges contain "King's semi-smokeless powder".

Semismokeless powder, was introduced by King in 1897, was a combination of smokeless and black powders. It was claimed to have the best qualities of both powders - the high velocity of a nitro powder with the low breech pressure of a black powder. King's semismokeless powder was nearly smokeless, did not foul firearms and was less susceptible to deterioration in storage than smokeless powders of the time. Peters discontinued using King's semismokeless powder in the mid-1930s.

Another clue to the age of the cartridges was their calling the case a "solid head".

And a third clue would be the "inside lubed" bullet. As far as I know the production of revolver cartridges with "inside lubed" bullets in U.S.A. ended about 1919.

With these clues, I'd pin down the date of manufacture to between 1897-1919. (Old4x4, your estimated date of manufacture is probably pretty darn close.... if not right on the money!)

The cartridges in question were produced here...

King's Powder was on the other side of the Little Miami.

Check out the Peters Cartridge Article - Cincinnati Enqirer

I think you'll find it interesting! thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
DaMan, FANTASTIC! Your answer was loaded with information. I'll forward this to my Dad. Exactly what we were looking for and then some. Thanks again!

Charles Bronson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to be of help!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote