Find
Notify
Tools

Re: date 9x57 introduced
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Dixon's book European Sporting cartridges states that DWM introduced the 9 x 57 in c1904 , and the 9 x 57R in c1905.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Thank you. After reading that magazine article (where was that?) I was able to locate a listing of DWM cartridges on the net (where was that?) and got similar dates.

If I may, does Dixon say DWM developed it or was that when they began loading it?

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Dixon just states that DWM introduced the round c.1904 and 05 for the rimmed version . Also that it was loaded by Kynoch and others after those dates .

I guess DWM was the first commercial loader , who actually first hit on the idea is lost in time....

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who opened up the M/88 case first is unknown but with 9 mm bullets and gun tinkerers already around these times it for sure was not long after the introduction of the "mothercase" 8x57 which came 1888 from the drawing board of the Kaiserliche Gewehrkommision.

Posts: 26 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Vernon , but like any wildcat , untill someone loads it commercially it hasnt really "arrived " as far as being recognised goes . I would imagine that the 9mm version was around pretty much as soon as the 8mm was released , as you say .

one of us
posted Hide Post

muzza, ok but in real life "being recognised" for a specific cartridge is not only a matter of commercial loading. I think nowadays in Europe the date of CIP listing plays the baptizing moment. In the past it could be the first mentioning in a publication.
Vernon

Posts: 26 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2002Reply With Quote