Find
Notify
Tools

what is this cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I found a box of .25 Stevnes at a thrift sale. In the box, was three rounds that were quite a bit larger than the stevns round. They appear to be .30 cal and measure about .77 inches long. What the heck are the?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.77 OAL or .77 case length?
Round or flat nose?
Assuming it's a rimfire (being in with 25 Stevens rounds)?
Can you put a caliper on the bullet?
If you can measure things, rim diameter, case diameter (just above the rim) case length, OAL and bullet diameter should pin it down fairly well.

In my paltry collection I have rimfires ranging from 2mm to 18mm, with quite a few different ones in the 25 to 38cal range

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
.77 OAL or .77 case length?
Round or flat nose?
Assuming it's a rimfire (being in with 25 Stevens rounds)?
Can you put a caliper on the bullet?
If you can measure things, rim diameter, case diameter (just above the rim) case length, OAL and bullet diameter should pin it down fairly well.

In my paltry collection I have rimfires ranging from 2mm to 18mm, with quite a few different ones in the 25 to 38cal range

sorry, couldnt find my caipers before. OAL is 1.21, case lenght is .75 in. and the case diamiter is .315, its strait walled. The bullet measured slightly larger at .316.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
can you post a picture , with a .25 Stevens beside for comparison? Might be something really easy to id visually but your description so far doesnt ring any bells ... Confused

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, with that bullet diameter, it's one of the 32 cals
The case length is off a little (on the low side) but it's close to the length of a 32 Long, mine (5 samples) measure from .775 to .794, with the OAL ranging from 1.204 to 1.229

Note:
My 32 Short's 1 has a CL of .588 w/OAL .896 and the other a CL of .546 w/OAL of .926
My 32 Long Rifle has a CL of .925 w/OAL 1.211
My 32 Extra Long has a CL of 1.138 w/OAL 1.558

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
took a picture of it but I cant get it to load on the computer. I remeasured the CL again and it appears that I messed up the first time, it is closer to the original post at .77. Sort of hard to measure not having a empty brass. The case almost looks like its made from copper and has a U stamped on the bottom

---Thomas Jefferson