Find
Notify
Tools

Starting to collect cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
I am looking to start collecting some cartridges to make a couple of displays. For example African cartridges from 375 and up and maybe some others like 333 Jeffrey, 318 WR...

Any pointers or lessons learned that you can share?

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The ones you need the most will cost you more than you are prepared to pay.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you live in the USA try to get to one of the cartridge shows around the country. You will find the best prices at these shows. No matter where you live if you have an interest in collecting ammo you should joint the IAA (International Ammunition Association) maybe pick up a copy of either Cartridges of the World or the Ammo Encyclopedia as a basic starter book. These will help you figure out what is out there and what you want/need. The more you read on the subject the better off you will be. You need knowledge.
Zac

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
The ones you need the most will cost you more than you are prepared to pay.

Thats life!

ZW, there is a collection show in Northern Ohio. I will try to make it. Thank you for the advice.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
the IAA website is useful too. But nothing beats attending a cartridge show ans see whats out there in the cartridge world.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a lot of NE cartridges. Check out my posting of 29 Jan 2019 in this forum.

Regards

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If you are collecting then don't restrict your self to 375 H+H plus. I can send you cases from 375H+H,450-400,458 WM,as well as 6.5x54 M/S,9.5x56 M/S,+ of course 7x57 (or 275 Rigby if you prefer).Let me know;I can send you one of each,free.I hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the advice. I have joined the IAA online last night. I am going to try to make the Ammo Show in canton and/or St. Louis. My focus is going to be British Cartridges post black powder to start and maybe the different .458 caliber rounds. If limited myself to that I hear of another projectile.

I went over a collectors house the other day and purchased some rounds. He is suppose to have 70,000 rounds. Incredible collection mostly housed in multiple drawers. I spent 2 hours just going through 3 drawers and I know I missed some rounds I wanted and those drawers were half BPE cartridges.

Norman, thank you for your offer of cases but I am going to stick to full cartridges for now. I am overwhelmed right now with what I am looking at and what I have bought so far.

I did not realize there are so many rimmed cartridges and so many variation in size let alone headstamps.

Thank you for all of your help,

Jim