New
Find
Notify
Tools

seeking 6.5x53.5 orig sample
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
any of you got a #12 Deaudetue (sp) your willing to part with?

Posts: 28 | Location: Northern Calif= Redwoods | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Can you be more specific. Exactly what cartridge are you looking for? There are several 6.5 x 53 cartridges and more than one Daudeteau. I'm afraid I do not know what a #12 is.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I was informed it was a cartridge used in the St. Dennis remodel. captured mod 71 Mauser,
model of 79 overstamped. These were captured from the German army and coverted in 79 to 6.5X53.5 also refered to as a rook gun cartridge. Some were used in the Uraguaen insurectionists circa 1882. Need more info?
Dan

Posts: 28 | Location: Northern Calif= Redwoods | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan

That didn't help me a bit. All Greek. Sorry. Confused

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cartridge is described here,

http://www.municion.org/Daudeteau/6_5Sr.htm

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
The cartridge is described here,

http://www.municion.org/Daudeteau/6_5Sr.htm

The description of the converted rilfe is here,

www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/rifles/armfrc.htm

The rifles, 1871 Mauser carbines (Weapon No 114) were not captured, they were supplied to Uruguay by Germany. Uruguay subsequently sent some to France for conversion to the Daudeteau round.

The 6.5x53.5 is not a rook rifle cartridge. Rook rifles were British, single shots, usually built on Martini actions. Chamberings were mostly smaller (handgun sized) rimmed, straight walled cartridges suitable for small game and targets. BTW, a "rook" is an Old World bird that resembles the American Crow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig Now I didn't realize Uruguay SENT them back to France for rechambering I assumed they were captured weapons distributed by France.
The book also referes to the cartrage being used post war as a rook gun being it was the early single shot I have no idea where the magazine rifles went. France did keep an unknown number as a last ditch defense. Thus I have this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
France and Germany were not at war during the time the rifles were in service.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again I stand corrected Craig, You are right! It was during the Franco-Prussian war right?
Well one thing for sure it will shoot circles around that 11mm it started out as. As you can well attest to! moon Yea, the cartridge was used as a stand around rook gun post war all that surplus ammo I'm trying to find ONE of was cheap!
Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

If you haven't already, check out http://cartridgecollectors.org/. You might find something there.