New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on cartridge identification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a small shotshell cartridge and only marking is a W on the base. Also have a paper cased bullet that measures .578. Any ideas on what these might be? Thanks

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Pictures , measurements , as much info as you can supply.

I know some of us are good , but we aint psychic ... Big Grin

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess my sometimers kicked in last night.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the shot shell is a Winchester product, specificly a 9mm rimfire with a "double charge of shot" for use in Flobert style "garden guns (IE chasing critters out of the garden).
Winchester also made the same thing in a all brass case.

2nd row up, between the 410's and the 12/14 Greener Riot, are the 3 lengths (Single, Double and Tripple) and types (all brass and brass/paper) of the 9mm Flobert Shot shells

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
there you go - a picture tells a thousand words.

I suspect your paper-patched projectile will be harder to identify. Could be military , could be a sporter bullet .These critturs are not easy to be sure on.

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help on the Winchester shell. You are right about the other shell, it will be hard to identify. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a guess. Made for a blowback pistol, so there's no extractor groove.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Bergmann

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Here's a guess. Made for a blowback pistol, so there's no extractor groove.

Grizz

Umm except for one minor detail.......It's only a paper patched bullet, intended to be loaded into a cartridge case (that and the Bergmann rounds are only about 1-1 1/4" long and a lot smaller than 57cal).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Might try a Civil War Forum/Blog and see if they have an idea.

http://www.historicalimagebank...m02/album22/album59/
http://www.acwbullets.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will try that. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the paper cartridge to the gun show last weekend and was told it was for the Sharps rifle. The gentleman told me that they made them up till the 30s and this type would be one of the improved cartridges. Will do some more looking though.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I imagine your projectile is one of the many produced and sold to reloaders during the first half of last century , and probably from 1880 or so before that.

Reloading in the field was common on hunting excursions back then , and a supply of pre-ptched projectiles such as yours was one of the pre-requisites of a successfull hunt.

It may be for a Sharps , or a Remington or any one of a number of rifles. I doubt you will accurately identify it to a specific maker , or for a specific caliber..