Find
Notify
Tools

25 WCF
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
A friend described an old rifle he owns and inquired if I might be able to find cartridges for it or brass and bullets. He described the cartridge as a 25 WCF and the rifle was a Winchester pump with a fluted twist tube magazine. Any info appreciated.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
You have an amalgam of rifle descriptions there. It sounds as if he has a Remington in .25-20 Repeater aka the .25 WCF. Should be a nice rifle.

Ammo is still made, .25-20.

I find such confusing descriptions are very common.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hobie. I'll pass the information to my friend and remind him to quit mixing parts on his rifles.

one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Hobie nailed it.

The use of ".xx WCF" as an alternative to the typical "caliber-BP charge" designation is very common Winchester practice from the pre-WW2 period (e.g. .44-40 = .44 WCF) . . . and other firearms makers generally use the designation adopted by the company which develops the roung. Sales & profits drive these companies - if they can adapt a competitor's cartridge to their own line, they will, whether today or in the past.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote