New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x57JR brass for sale
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a box of Norma 8x57JR brass. I'd like to sell it to someone who can use it. If there is anyone here that is interested, PM me and I'll give you a great deal on them.
Mark

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Do you know if that brass will work in an 8x57JRS? If so, I would be interested.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly not the person to ask, I know almost nothing about the cartridge, maybe the 8x57JRS is for the S bore dia. i.e. .323"? Is there anyone who can tell us if that's the difference?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mark

Edited for speeling curekshuns Jeesh!

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Palmer, the bullet difference is .005" nominal (as I'm sure you know); if you are going to load them, your 8x57JS belling die will open up the neck that amount without a problem. The first loading may look slightly bulged, but once fired, the lower areas will expand to fit the chamber. You would / might want to back off the powder charge a bit and work back up if you are using a max load (always a good idea with a new lot of brass anyway), but for sure they would work and not stress the brass overly much in the process. If you wanted to be absolutely certain, you could anneal the necks before or after the operation. Watch the C/L as well, it may be a tiny bit shorter when opened up, but it would be less than the amount (.005") by which the neck ID was increased. Personally, I'd have no hesitation of sizing J bore brass to S bore in any of the European 8mm as long as you were completely sure to mark it so no future user would try to shoot the .323" loads in a .318" rifle.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Palmer, interested? PM me please. Thanks, Mark

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
as long as you were completely sure to mark it so no future user would try to shoot the .323" loads in a .318" rifle.

That last sentence in Mr Iconoclast's post is very important. Many older rifles have been damaged by firing the bigger diameter bullets thru them. It's a good policy to clearly mark ALL ammunition that is handloaded, ESPECIALLY when it does not exactly follow what the headstamp says.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote