Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.303 British headstamp ???
 Login/Join

posted
I recently was given a .303 British cartridge by a chap. i thought very little of it until I looked at it more closely.
The projectile is of nickel jacket pointed spitzer shape & it weighs 236gr. the inside of the case has a cardboard wad which I think indicates a cordite load but it may also be black powder.
The headstamp intrigues me it reads -
B at 12 o'clock
beginning at 9 o'clock and finishing at 3 o'clock it reads "Patent Pointed"

Any clues would be gratefully received.

regards

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Posts: 7 | Location: Holmesville, Australia | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I am guessing a special loading - match? - by Birmingham Metal and Munitions Company , between 1897 and 1920. I would expect the load to be cordite with the over-charge card wad to keep the sticks in place. Interestingly when they loaded the cordite cartridges the case neck was not swaged down until the cordite charge had been inserted into the case.

I also guess that this was some special purpose load , as the standard Ball projectile weight was 174 grains for Mk 7 ammo , and the earlier Mk6 load was 215 grains.

Hopefully someone else may have more information.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Muzza, I will keep researching.
As you suggest the projectile weight has me wondering.

Regards

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Posts: 7 | Location: Holmesville, Australia | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote