Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collection value
 Login/Join

posted
A former co-worker of my wife has asked me to help put a value on her late husband's cartridge collection. I won't be able to look at the collection until I go back home pheasant hunting in about a month and don't know how extensive the collection is. Are there any references that would help determine value?

Posts: 14 | Location: ND | Registered: 21 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
If it is more than a shoebox filled with old bullets then you probably need to track down a member of the International Ammunition Association in your area , and seek informed advice from him/her. Ammo collecting is a specialized field , and if you dont know what you have to start with you wont realize its true value.
Having said that , 90% of the value will be in 10% of the cartridges , the rest you will need to give away as a package deal.

Best of luck.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said Muzza. I can't agree more.

Sendaro

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes,sad though it may be,most others do not not treasure our collections as we do.When left to widows the problem increases greatly. As an example: I have a 1964 corvette painted pink that I want $30,000 for it. Now it might be worth that to me but now we have to find another that has that same interests + be in the price range. Basic story is 'what the market will bear'No one wants to lose a potential fortune. I know a friend that did an estate sale a few years back,come to find out that their china set was worth over $100.00 a plate,their silver service was beyond belief...anyway you get my point.I don't think that a cartridge collection would be in the same realm however with collectors one never knows.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote