New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 hh magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
found 15 casings of 300 hh mag(western) casings in a coffee can of 300 win mag casings.
can someone give me some history on this cartridge. i am not a cartridge collector but i have been reloadingfor over 30 years.

Posts: 34 | Location: Mellen,Wi. USA | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 Holland and Holland. One of the parents (the other is the 375H&H) of the majority of the belted magnums (including the 7mm Rem Mag, 300WM and a high percentage of the Weatherby line), and many wildcats.
It dates back to 1925, and has won it's share of long range matches.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bearden

One thing that many younger shooters find confusing - The 375 and 300 H&H are both 2.85" long and, as Tailgunner said, are the parents of all of the belted magnums of today. When wildcatters first started playing with the H&H cases one of the things they did was shorten them to 2.5". Therefore, these early wildcats were called "Short Magnums". And there are a lot of them. Many became factory cartridges. But today we also have the WSM and SAUM cartridges which are not beleted and are only a little over 2 inches long. When an oldtimer (like me) talks about a "Short Magnum" he is probably referring to the originals from the 1940s and 1950s, but when a younger shooter talks about the "Short magnums" he is likely talking about the REM and WIN cartridges of today. Now, add to that the SSMs and it gets even more confusing.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
just to add to the two gents above - the original British loadings for the .300 Belted Rimless Magnum - aka Hollands .30 Super - were 38 grains of cordite with 150 grain bullet; 55 grains of cordite with 180 grain bullet ; and 49 grains of cordite with 220 grain bullet with muzzle velocities of 3000,2700, and 2350 fps respectively.

Hopefully that gives you some idea of the cartridge in relation to similar - ie 30-06 - calibres and bullet weights.

The cartridge is/was available in rimmed ( flanged ) form for use in double rifles as well.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the history lesson, i did find some data on it in a old lyman reloading book, and load data using cast bullets.

Posts: 34 | Location: Mellen,Wi. USA | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote