THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CARTRIDGE COLLECTING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this the place to post "Wanted" ads for cartridges?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
Looks to be more general discussion.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post it mang! Whatcha huntin' fer?

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To start, wildcats from big cases, like .50 BMG, .505 Gibbs,
and .404 Jeffrey. Oh, and a McMillan "Fat Mac".

Also looking for all kinds of (smokeless) rimmed cartridges, especially a 6.5x68R.

Thanks.

Oh yeah dummies are OK.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like this? Off a 458 Lott and 357 mag.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Kinda reminiscent of P.O. Ackley's .22 eargashplittinloadanboomer.I think it was a .300 H+H necked down to .22. A joke of course.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Like this? Off a 458 Lott and 357 mag.

Ummm. Hmmm. Not exactly what I had in mind. Are they real cartridges, or just made up as a novelty?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Kinda reminiscent of P.O. Ackley's .22 eargashplittinloadanboomer.I think it was a .300 H+H necked down to .22. A joke of course.

.378 Weatherby case, in an attempt to break 5000fps. He reached 4600.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just playing with my case forming dies.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking it would be cool to improve the Russian 12.7x108 case (it already holds 350gr water) then neck up to 14.5mm and get low drag solids for it. Cool, but pretty much completely useless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman,

even bigger. It is a 378 Wbee necked down to .22 caliber. The 22 Eargesplittenloudenboomer was a real cartridge.

NASA was testing space ship shields in the mid-fifties for meteor resistance. Something about a meteorite the size of a BB penetrating the heat shields and evacuating the air in a micro-second. Very messy.

They went to Wbee and asked them for help. Bob Forker, iirc, ran that project for Roy. They necked the 378 down to 22 caliber and made BB's out of a meteorite. Shot them over 7000fps. Found an alloy that would work.

About 17 years ago, I got the bug and built one.

Savage was looking at the barrel interior treatments, and asked me for the ultimate hostile to a barrel cartridges. So, they sent me a 12-BV-SS in 223 (1:9" twist) and a couple spare barrels.

IIRC, that was 1999. I went to the SHOT Show and was invited to sit with Hornady at a 50th Anniversary dinner one evening. I end up being able to sit with Bob Forker. He basically designed the barrel nut system for Savage. A very nice young man from the marketing dept was on my other side. Anyway, Bob and I get to talking, and I brought the 223 EGSLB up. He was telling me about the classified project. So I reach into my jacket pocket (yes! I owned a sports coat once) and handed him a loaded round. I did the Ackley-type 35-degree shoulder. He picked it up, and was amazed. We talk some more, and this young guy had said he did not believe that could be done. So, after Bob plays with it a minute, I hand it to the kid. He was speechless.

About a hundred rounds and the barrel was toast, the treated barrel (Black Star) lasted about 210 +/-.

Once you got to about 4500fps, I started vaporizing bullets about 20 yards down range.

One held up, the Nosler solid base 60gr went 5400fps, and grouped in the mid-.3's at 100 and
under an inch at 300.

I still have the reamers, if anybody is interested...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Norman,

even bigger. It is a 378 Wbee necked down to .22 caliber. The 22 Eargesplittenloudenboomer was a real cartridge.

NASA was testing space ship shields in the mid-fifties for meteor resistance. Something about a meteorite the size of a BB penetrating the heat shields and evacuating the air in a micro-second. Very messy.

They went to Wbee and asked them for help. Bob Forker, iirc, ran that project for Roy. They necked the 378 down to 22 caliber and made BB's out of a meteorite. Shot them over 7000fps. Found an alloy that would work.

About 17 years ago, I got the bug and built one.

Savage was looking at the barrel interior treatments, and asked me for the ultimate hostile to a barrel cartridges. So, they sent me a 12-BV-SS in 223 (1:9" twist) and a couple spare barrels.

IIRC, that was 1999. I went to the SHOT Show and was invited to sit with Hornady at a 50th Anniversary dinner one evening. I end up being able to sit with Bob Forker. He basically designed the barrel nut system for Savage. A very nice young man from the marketing dept was on my other side. Anyway, Bob and I get to talking, and I brought the 223 EGSLB up. He was telling me about the classified project. So I reach into my jacket pocket (yes! I owned a sports coat once) and handed him a loaded round. I did the Ackley-type 35-degree shoulder. He picked it up, and was amazed. We talk some more, and this young guy had said he did not believe that could be done. So, after Bob plays with it a minute, I hand it to the kid. He was speechless.

About a hundred rounds and the barrel was toast, the treated barrel (Black Star) lasted about 210 +/-.

Once you got to about 4500fps, I started vaporizing bullets about 20 yards down range.

One held up, the Nosler solid base 60gr went 5400fps, and grouped in the mid-.3's at 100 and
under an inch at 300.

I still have the reamers, if anybody is interested...

Rich

Treated Deathstar?? Never saw a treated one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of propellant pushed a bullet (or BB) to 7000fps? I thought the gases expanded at a rate of around 6000fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
put your tri-focals on Butch. Black Star.

WWC-872 powder. A lot of it. A redefinition of overbore.

A 2000 or 2001 issue of PS Magazine had the article.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LDO,

I dunno. I was six or seven that year, and they did not invite me to work on the project...

I was trying to develop a ballistics program for marbles VS 1/2" ball bearings using an abacus. for my slingshot

beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
put your tri-focals on Butch. Black Star.

WWC-872 powder. A lot of it. A redefinition of overbore.

A 2000 or 2001 issue of PS Magazine had the article.

Your saying a Lothar Walther with the Deathstar electro polishing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yer gettin' closer...