Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Newton
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
I never knew this headstamp existed and I picked up one at the last show I went to.
Who else here has one in thier collection?

Don

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don

I have a good collection of Newton cartridges and have never seen that one. Who made it?? Western? Sounds like you got a good one.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
cheechako

It has a Speer headstamp. In all I have the following in the Newtons
.256 Newton
.270 Newton
.30 Newton
.35 Newton

I never knew the 270 version existed.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cal30 1906

I knew Speer made both 30 and 35 Newton but not a 270. That is a good one. If you ever come across another one I'll buy it from you. Smiler Like you would sell it, huh. Wink I have an original Speer box of 35 Newton but all cases have been fired.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Cheechako
If I find 2 more Ill send you 1 but I have only seen 1.
Don

one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
I've never seen an original Newton loading, but I have seen the Speer version. Had one in my "general collection" but it sold a long time back.

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Speer made a .270 Newton...little known for sure, but they did. I collect Newtons & am up on most of the info about them. I think it was Richard Speer who liked the cartridges & brought back .30 Newton brass after WW2, also the Speer .270 Newton. As far as I know,it was only Speer that did this...it was not an original Newton
cartridge. Also, Newton did make several prototype or experimental cartridges, one was a .280 Newton. I have a custom rifle (Mauser action), chambered in .280 Newton that's the .30 Newton necked down to 7mm, no other changes. Newton experimented with the .280, but dropped it, as the powders of the day didn't give the velocity he wanted. I also have a cutom .22 Newton with a P.O. Ackley barrel & chambering.
If you reference a vintage wildcat cartridge book such as Richard Simmons; "Wildcat Cartridges", you will find a .270 Ackley Newton, and an Ackley .276 Newton...P.O. Ackley, Fred Barnes, Gipson, Gebby...the old pros of the time did a lot of development from the parent .30 Newton Cartridge. Best Regards, Tom
email: bisonland@tritel.net

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ps to my last post re. .270 Newton...I have old
Speer cartridge boxes of .30 Newton...On the back it lists the .270 Newton: It states: "One never
marketed by Newton. Beyond all expectations in
regards to velocity", enquote. The other listings are for the .30 Newton & .35 Newton. This is on the Speer .30 Newton Box, that on the front says:
Speer:"Forged from Solid" .30 Newton. I can spare a box (empty) to you if you want one. I only have a couple left. Just cover the postage (small), but don't have many left.
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote