Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.221 remington
 Login/Join

posted
Im confuzzled, what in the world is the .221 remington so good for? I got like 3 empty brass of it.

Posts: 27 | Location: The 'burbs of Miami, Florida | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was developed as a long-range pistol cartridge for the Remington XP-100 bolt-action pistol. No, I don't know what that was good for, either

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Posts: 238 | Location: Derbyshire, UK | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 221 fireball in a 10 inch bull barrel TC with a 4x Leupold EER scope. it would shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards all day long. it is good for prairie dogs to 250 yards or so. it is very accurate and pleasant to shoot. kind of a very modern 22 hornet

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But why not use a rifle instead?

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion
forum

one of us
Picture of Iconoclast
posted Hide Post
Tony, just because one can. No, it doesn't make sense to me, either. But what about all those guys re-inventing the wheel with their wildcat rounds? Same deal. Besides, there are many here in the States who like the challenge of hunting with handguns of all sorts. If you ever get over to this side of the pond, try some of the ungodly powerful handgun combos some of these folks use - the Linbaugh, the Casull, the .45-70 for Pete's sake! - you may need wrist surgery afterwards, but some folks truly enjoy these hand cannons. Heck, I'm thinking seriously of buying the new S&W and I'm not even one of the handgun hunting / shooting obsessed (although I do admit a fondness for very hot loads in a .44 Mag ).

Posts: 219 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, I recall once firing a cylinder full of .44 Magnum - many years ago, when handguns were still legal in the UK. Most interesting!

I have no problem with people working up new ballistic solutions or weapons (although I do think that all of the worthwhile gaps in what's on offer were plugged long ago). However, varminting with a pistol strikes me as being equivalent to those ridiculous walking races in the Olympics - it's much more sensible to run!

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mulerider,
I just took delivery of my Remington 700 LS, Which is blued metal, Laminated stock,BDL bottom metal, medium weight barrel, 1-14, and it is Very nice, not a Cooper but for $459.95 shipped, ain't bad.
When I bought mine he had three left. Anyone interested contact. Jim Briggs
Northland Shooters Supply
763-420-7163
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote