Notify
Tools

Cartridges for collection
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted
Hello All,
I'm making a cartridge collection for my granddad and need the ones listed below. Some are common others may be harder to come by. I would buy them but I can't find anyone that sells single cartridges.(just brass) I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for the brass and to cover shipping and other costs. Can anyone help me out.
Thanks
Josh H.

There is a constantly updated list of what I currently have below.

[edit: Also to quote from below.I only need the brass.No primer or bullet required. I'm learning how expensive live ammo is to ship.]

I can be reached at

teroenza(at)gmail(dot)com

17 Aquila
17 Remington Fireball
50 Bushmaster
308 Marlin
338 winchester magnum
338 lapua
6.5 Grendel
6.8mm x 43mm SPC
408 cheytac
5.8mm x 42mm Chinese qbz95
7.92mm x 33mm kurz
6mm ppc
338 Federal
6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer
458 SOCOM

.30 Mauser
10mm magnum
500 linebaugh
50 GI
7.63x25mm Mauser

or anything else interesting or different Big Grin

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may get some donations, but have you looked through the "Ammo for collecting" section over at www.auctionarms.com ? How about the guy over at www.ammo-one.com (I think that's his website, he is also a seller on Auction arms, and has his web page listed their).
What's killer is that while there is no Haz-Mat fee on shipping ammo, there is a minimum 1 pound shipping fee, so to get 1 live round or 20 from the same person it will cost about the same for shipping (something to remember when ordering / bidding from multapal sources).

A number of the ones your wanting are fairly common "shooters" and you may be able to pick up a sample by asking nicely at your local rifle ranges.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Hey , thanks for the info.
By the way I only need the brass.No primer or bullet. Don't know if that'll help.

Thanks
Josh

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That helps, as you can purchase inert and/or dummy rounds and have them shipped via the US mail (much cheaper), instead of having to use UPS/Fed-ex ground shipping.

To clarify somewhat, brass and bullets can be mailed, but 1 live primer or 1 kernal of powder changes the entire shipment into a "ORM-D" package (same hazard class as spray cans).

A number of the dealers on AA will inert live rounds for their customers, as that is about the only way they can be shipped overseas. Unfortunatly the only inert spare I have, that matches your list is a 243Win, but I'll be happy to send it to you. I'd have to check, but I might have a extra "double necked Hansen" it's not on your list, but it is a neat looking wildcat.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with Huntington's. They sell individual empty cases to collectors.

You wanna adopt another granddad??? I'd rather get cartridges than a shirt or sweater. Roll Eyes

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner: Sure I would love to have either of those. Thank you

CheeChako: Thanks for the info and yeah. My grandad's a cool guy. I shot my first gun with him when I was 5. A little North American Arms .22lr revolver. Felt like an elephant gun to me back then. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Opps, I thought I had a spare Hansen, but it turns out what I has was a spare 375-338 Chatfield-Taylor dummy.
I also found a couple others that are on your list, along with some that isn't.
PM your mailing address and I'll get the pile mailed off to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i own a small gunshop and have some of the unusual cartrdges in my private inventory if you posted a list of what you have might make it easier to help get what you don't have

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
As of right now I need all the cartriges listed. I will edit out any that I obtain.
-Josh

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
teroenza,
I have several headstamps for the 45-70, .50-70, a .450 Barnes Supreme, .276 Barnes Johnson, and a few more that I am sure you might like as well. Please drop me a PM with your address and I will get them off to you ASAP. Take care and God bless you and yours.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
cordell,
Thank you very much. PM sent

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
teroenza,
Your package is boxed, ready, and will be in the mail tomorrow morning. I am also sending a hand full of brass that you may not have but if you do, doubles won't hurt in any collection. I am sending 2 different headstamps for the 450 Barnes Supreme, if you have any questions just drop me a line. Take care and God bless. cordell
ooops BTW, how is your selection of the Big Bore cartridges going??? There are some guys on here that have some pretty exotic stuff if you need it. I am sure you would just have to ask. TC&GB. cordell

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Cordell,
Really I'm just a beginner at this. I started gathering shells around the range. After I started seeing all the different kinds I got hooked. I thought up the idea of the collection for my granddad because he introduced me to my current passion(firearms) among others.He's an engineer as well so I've gotten many physics and chemistry lessons on the subject.For big bore I have a .50BMG from my uncle as well as a .375H&H and 12.7mm x 109mm kindly donated by Mr. Tailgunner. Looks like my next project will be a case or stand of some sorts to keep all these displayed.

Thanks All
-Josh

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Again thanks for the help everyone. My Grandfather is really excited.
-Josh

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hello Josh,
You are more than welcome, most of us on this site have been helped by someone else (from AR)at one time or another. Listen I think you are limiting your quest and your Grandpa's collection by just listing here. Post this same request on Big Bores, Medium Bores, Small Bores, Wildcats and Their Developement, and most importantly Reloading. Most of these people are more than willing to share and probably have a few extras sitting on the bench that they would love to send you for such a worthy cause. As I said in my P.M. I am still digging and will add to the ones I have already sent you as they accumulate. Take care and God bless.

cordell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Josh,
If your interested, I have a nice .8 Bore brass case dummy for sell. The headstamp says "RMC 8B" which stands for "Rockey Mountain Cartridge Co" It has a unk.grain copper washed lead bullet. I'd like to get $30.00 + $6.00 shipping through UPS.

Or if anyone else is interested let me Know. I also offered it to a fellow on NITROEXPRESS.COM, so whoever might want it first if interested let me know so I can remove the posts on both websites.
Take Care !
Chris Openbrier cmopenbrier@earthlink.net

Posts: 63 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Chris,
No thank you. Thats a bit much for me right now. Thanks though
-Josh

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Just so anyone reading this knows. Starline brass will sell pistol and revolver brass for 1$ each for singles. Not sure about shipping. I'm ordering a few.
-Josh

[Edit: Shipping was found to be very little. IE. $1 per pound.]

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Hello Everyone,
I am working on a display for all these. I'm leaning towards clear plastic or acrylic so as to be able to see the head stamp. I'm also beginning to realize that I may need to take into account and accommodate for new additions. I was planning to drill individually sized holes for each one but now I'm not sure.
I've only got a few unknown ones yet to ID and thats because I need to buy some new calipers and take photos. I've found the International Ammunition Association's forums are an amazing resource for anything on cartridge identification.
Thanks all
-Josh

one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
If you'd like I've got a spare 375 Weatherby I could send you.

When you need it and don't have it you'll be singing a different tune.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
CZ 550,
Yes please!, Thank You , PM sent.
-Josh

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Also, If anyone would like a list of what I currently have. I can send it as an excel spreadsheet or text document.

-Josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Girls-Girls-Girls what are you doing if it not at www.colcartinc.com or www.ammo-one.com it probley not out there.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the links.
-Josh

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of making a display for the cartridges I have received. I am going to start with a 6 cartridge prototype consisting of 50BMG,30-06,308,223, 30 carbine, 45acp. Ive attached a (poorly) drawn picture Of a rough outline. I will update as I work out the kinks.

-Josh

Picture

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh
I dug a few interesting ones out of the bins at SLIC for you (including a 22 Maynard for a quarter), and "HockeyPuck" (a poster on this site, and fellow cartridge collector) said that he would ship me some wildcat dummies/inerts to add to the items I picked up for you.

He (HockeyPuck) puts out a e-mail list of what he has available on a regular basis, it would be worth it for you to request that he add you to his mailing list.

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Thanks so much! I will PM HockeyPuck to thank him and see about being added to his list.

About the display: I am working with Plexiglass right now and having trouble drilling holes in it. I have my drill press at it's lowest speed and even with a pilot hole it seems to either "chatter" and break chips off or bind. I'm going to experiment melting the holes but I haven't given up on drilling yet.
-Josh

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plexiglass can be a bitch to drill, but with your bit sharpened to the correct angle it can be done.
Where a standard drill has its sharp cutting edge, you need to re-grind the cutting edge to a small flat, so that it scrapes the material off, instead of trying to cut it (note that the drill will be useless for drilling anything else after it's re-ground. Up close the cutting edge will look more like _| than this _\ .

One of Us
Picture of fireball 2
posted Hide Post
howdy, i have some 8mm-06, 300 win mag, and 8mm-300win mag(reshaped 300win nickel cases) if you can use them. Ieven have 180gr nos bt's for um if you want. Dave

when in rome, punt

Posts: 66 | Location: northern calif. | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
fireball 2- Thank You PM sent.

Bob-, Thanks for that tip, it worked well. I am finding that some shells have base dimeters than I have drill bits. I am thinking about either using a tapered metal rod to melt the holes larger or do away with holes entirely and use wire formed around the case and melted into the plexiglass to hold them.
-Josh

One of Us
Picture of fireball 2
posted Hide Post
hey buddy! the package is on its way my wife put it in the mail today. they're is a few extra if you can use them. good luck with your project. Dave

when in rome, punt

Posts: 66 | Location: northern calif. | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hi teroenza,
Listen it may be a good idea for you to post what you now have so that people will know where to start helping you fill in the gaps. I have a small jar started that just isn't worth sending yet. But it will be on the way to join the first batch soon. Take care and God bless. cordell

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Rick,
Yes that is a good idea. I keep it in an excel document with more info about each cartridge. If anyone would like it just PM or email me. I will post just the list of cartridge names here now. I will also continue to update that particular post and refer people back to it to keep this thread from becoming ridiculously long.Big Grin

As to the display, I am still trying drilling and ill try the expansion by taper as soon as I can machine a tapered rod at school.

Thanks
-Josh

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
This list will be continuously updated!
-Josh
Rifle
Rifle
30mm x 178mm
25 x 163
14.5 x 114
12.7mm x 108mm
4 Bore
700 Hubel Express
Rim From 12Ga FH
50 BMG (12.7mm x 99mm)
470 Nitro Express
450-400
50 Spotter
9.3mm x 74mm
416 Rigby
375 H&H Magnum
375 Weatherby Magnum
375 Weatherby Remington Ultra Mag.(RUM)
300 Weatherby Magnum
450 Barnes Supreme
416 Remington Magnum
500-577 No.2
300 Remington Ultra Magnum
300 H&H Magnum
11.2x72mm Schuler
458 Lott
10 Bore
9.3 x 72
8mm 300 Magnum
458 AR
308 Norma Magnum
280 Remington
270 Winchester
257 Weatherby Magnum
8mm-06
458 Winchester Magnum
.338-06
7mm Remington Magnum
357 Chatfeild Taylor
338 Winchester Magnum
30-06 Springfeild
25-06 Remington
333 O.K.H.
6.5-06
256 Newton
.270 AI Magnum
9.3 x 62
224 Hansell Barnes
.376 Steyr
478 BT Experimental
30-40 Krag
7.7 x (58mm?)Japanese
11mm Spanish Reformado
8x57JR
375 JDJ
348 Winchester
7.7 x 58 Arisaka
8 x 57
257 Roberts
244 Remington
8x57J
.243 Rockchucker
.270-.257 Roberts
8 x 56 Mannlicher-Schoenauer Custom
7 x 57mm Mauser
303 British
6mm Remington
25 Roberts +P
9.3 x 57
.358 Bell
7mm Bellam
220 Swift
7.5x55
284 Winchester
.308 Bellam
6.5x55 Swedish Mauser
.256 M&F
38-55
45-70 Govt +P+
45-70 Government
7.62mm x 54mm Russian
32-40
25-36 Marlin
7.65x53 Belgian Mauser
50 Alaskan
40-65
450 Marlin
300 Winchster Short Magnum
270 Winchester Short Magnum
38-55 Winchester
32 Special
25-35 Bea(w u?) Inp
30 Remington
.270-.308 Winchester
5.6 x 52
25 Remington
243 Winchester
6mm Walker International Long
25-35 Winchester
7mm-08
307 Winchester
375 Winchester
30-30 Winchester
.25 Souper
30-30 AI
14.5 x 51mm Artillary Trainer
32 Winchester Special
7.62mm x 51mm NATO
308 Winchester
.338 Ozark
8mm-08
458 x 2" American
6.5 x 50mm Japanese Arisaka
9.3mm Fireplug
.338 CJMK
224 weatherby magnum
35 Remington Rimmed
35 Remington
.219 Zipper
250 Savage
22-250
17 Flintstone Super Eyebunger
250 High-Power
Savage 250 AI
22-250 AI
6x?(measures 48.18mm
.17/222
204 Ruger
300 Savage
6x47mm
.17-.223
5.56mm x 45mm NATO
223 Remington
32 Ideal
308x1.752"
223 AI
50-70
375 Herrett
6x45mm
.30-.223 rem
6x41
222 Remington
6mm-.222
225 WSSM
243 WSSM
223 WSSM
50 Beowolf
25-20 Single Shot
5.49x39mm (russ)
6mm Br
.17 Javalina
7.62mm x 39mm
.308x1&1/2" Barnes
7mm BR
.458x1&1/2"
.17 Viper
.17K Hornet
22 Hornet
.300 wisper
218 Bee
.17 Viper
32-20 High Velocity
.17 Pee Wee
25-20 WCF
32-20 Winchester
32 Winchester Centerfire
30 Carbine
22 spitfire MMJ 5.7
.17 CCM
5.7mm x 28mm
22 WMR
17 HMR
7.62 Mini-Whisper
22W.C.F
7.62 Micro-Whisper
Hornady Mach 2
22 LR
221 Askins
Pistol and Revolver
460 S&W Magnum
375 rem maximum
500 S&W Magnum
221 Fireball
454 Casull
44 WCF
38-40
357 Automag
44 Automag
44-40win
44 XL
38-40 Winchester
.30-.375(A?)MeT
50 Action Express
32 W.C.F.
41 Remington Magnum
480 Ruger
45 Colt
44 Remington Magnum
357 Magnum
22 Remington Jet
.475 Wildey magnum
45 win. Magnum
9mm Winchester Mag.
44 smih and wesson special
38 Special
WRA Spl Tool
32 Harrington & Richardson Magnum
38 colt long
10mm Auto
460 Rowland
7.62mm x 25mm
32 colt long
32 Smith&Wesson Long
.44/.45
45 super
45 Auto
400 Cor-bon
38 Super Auto P+
.38 A.C.P.
8mm Nambu
357 Sig
30 Luger
40 Smith & Wesson
45 GAP
9mm Luger
38 Smith & Wesson
9x18(Makarov)
380 Auto
32 Auto
25 Auto

ShotShells
12 Guage
28 Guage

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
hey try this guy. his name is gary ruezse (spelling?) www.colcartinc.com. has just about anything you need. nice guy too. good luck!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hey Josh,
Looks like your collection is still growing daily. I do notice that you are missing all of the Weatherby brass, most of the 50 series ie 50-50 thru 50-140---the Wessons, Marlins, Stevens series, .460 Win--.405--a bunch of the 6mm series (-PPC etc) 25-20---25-35--32-40 32-35 ---the self loading series, many shotshells, and most of the BIG BORE stuff. I know some of these guys have a few empties sitting on the bench or in a box that they no longer use, maybe they can dig just a bit to help out Grandpas collection!!! Take care and God bless. cordell --Hey I didn't see your 9.3X57 on the list?? SmilerR

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Yes the collection is quite large and is filling 6 paper towel lined shoe boxes at the moment. I am happy and grateful for everything I receive. This has grown exponentially and if I can ever work out a viable display solution will be beautiful indeed. I live just a few minuets from my grandfather and will have the ability to enjoy it with him.
Rick- sorry about the 9.3x57. I found it. I have 1/2 half a room in my house covered in bullets and brass in different stages of separation. I have been going through a large box from my uncle and it got mixed in.
Thanks Big Grin
-Josh

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
I haven't given up on the holes and have turned the tapered rod, but am experimenting with holes melted through the plexiglass with steel wire then inserting a small U around the shell ans holding the ends with super glue. I haven't tried the glue out yet but the main thing would be to keep it away from the cartridge. Maybe a drop from the back side and capillary action pulling it through.....
-Josh

one of us
posted Hide Post
Side note, 4lb 3oz package will be outbound via UPS today.
Enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Bob-Thanks,PM sent.