New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridges for collection
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to add the .470 NE, .458 AR, .416 Rigby, .35 Rem, .300 Win Mag, .40 S&W, .357 AutoMag and .44 AutoMag to your list. Did I not send you a .375 RUM as well?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Sorry for the delay. It is exam time at school and things are pretty busy. Now that the week end is near I will try my best to get it updated. And yes you sent me a .375 RUM. I still have the list in my email if you wish to see it.
Thanks
-Josh

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
The list was partially updated 05/10/07. I still have a few I had before and the ones from tailgunner and hockeypuck. I'm still working on the pistol and revolver as well.
-Josh

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh
You may have already done it on your e-mail list, but re-ordering your list into "bullet" diameter order would make it much easer to find things you don't already have.
Assuming that your e-mail list is grouped by size, simply edit your list here, with a "copy and paste" of the list from your e-mail.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Thanks, I had thought about that. I currently have it by height and if 2 match then bullet diameter. I usually use search to find anything in excel, although I've pretty much memorized them(for now Cool). It's probably not the best organization but I like the way it looks. There are quite a few ways to group them (bullet dia.,history, use, ect.) I just like this one best so far.
-Josh

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
The link below is to a picture(scan) of the layout for the prototype display. I'm going to use a small reshaped drill bit to make a small hole (the large ones chatter) then use the taper to expand. After using the taper there is a lip of rolled over, melted plastic that I will try to get rid of some how. Maybe a countersink....

-Josh

Layout

One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,
It's been quite a while since I last posted. But I have not forgotten the display. I have made a prototype display of 6 American military cartridges for my Grandfather's brother in West Virginia. It is made from 2 small rectangles of plexiglass cut with a miniature Jig saw and oil, then filed into the correct shape. They are joined at a 90 degree angle making a shelf, and held on with fishing line tied and glued onto the back of the plexiglass. Small holes are not a problem to drill.

Left to Right
.45Acp, 30 Carbine, 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm, 30-06, and 50BMG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Josh:
First I've been into this thread.
That's quite a project you've got going. You'll need a 10' wall to display this on before it's done and you'll never finish it. So make provisions for fill in's some how. Maybe a sheet of mirror, or plastic against the wall, and small shelve's running the width every few inches in height. I've read there are more than 1200 cartridges that have been made for sale and that don't come close to the wildcats.

I've got 11 based on the 30/06 alone. But, only one of each and kept in a box, nothing I have is displayed.

I've gotten into collecting .17 cals. You might want to get on: Saubier.com, and check in the cartridge collections listed there. Those are nearly all small stuff.
Different one's have sent me one of a kind til I have 22 different .17's smaller than .17 Rem.

One fellow, Rodgervich on there, has made a bunch. One even from a .32acp case. Says it's worthless, but, it would shoot. I have one he sent. All of these are either live, or dummy loads, not just brass.

Don't know where you'd find it, but, a long elastic string woven thru hole's between cases would allow moving, cleaning, and filling in between when you get others.

www.msc.com and order tapered reamers to make various sized hole's. But I feel you'd have a much better display by gluing clear strips against a backboard of like material and an elastic band, or string making loops similar to a gunbelt to hold them in place with.

Wish you the best, it's a lot of fun isn't it?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
George,
Yes I do seem to have a lot, but it's nothing compared to some of the people I have talked with. They know and have collected more than I ever will.
I plan to break the rows up into about 1 ft. lengths for easy management. That you for the Saubier site. I have actually found some very interesting small(very) cartridges for some of the members there. I used fishing line (10lb test was all I had) but aparrently super glue will stick anything in the known universe, except mono fishing line. It took a very long time to glue the ends to the back and it was slightly messy. I had likes the idea for it's non-reactivity but think I will go back to lacquer coated copper magnet wire. Just twist and it's secure. I've also crossed out a long continuous for non-elastic materials at least. It's very(very) hard to keep the tension up on the others while threading and pulling tight the current shell. That and some sort of dust protection is all thats left.
Thanks
-Josh H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a prize for the weirdest one?

If so, I am ready to step forward and claim it...I have a new/old RWS 11,2x72mm Shuler with a dummy SP in it. Weird, rebated rim to std 30-06 head (could utilize the standard 98 bolt face, but the loaded round oal is about 3.8"), and a body that mikes about .531" on the base, 2.78" long and the bullets are .438 diameter. I got a hunnert-dollar sez grandpa is going to have to read the headstamp twice to figure this one out! PM me your address and I will get it in the mail in the morning.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Mr. Sharpshooter,
Unfortunately, no prize save for bragging rights Razzer. That does sound strange indeed! I have one called the 224 Hansell Barnes with a double neck on it. That must be annoying to chamber rifles for and reload. I don't think it quite compares to what you have described. For headstamp issues I'll probably ID it then let him try and figure it out. He might use his bi-focal's( 2 different power dollar store reading glasses on at the same time Roll Eyes Big Grin ) Thank you and pm sent
-Josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will settle for the satisfaction of knowing he will puzzle a bit over that one, and then enjoy it.

The USPS took possession of a priority padded envelope with the dummy in it about 9:28 am MST.
You should have it by Friday.

regards to your grandfather...tell him his grandson is a pretty good kid!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teroenza:
Hello everyone,
It's been quite a while since I last posted. But I have not forgotten the display. I have made a prototype display of 6 American military cartridges for my Grandfather's brother in West Virginia. It is made from 2 small rectangles of plexiglass cut with a miniature Jig saw and oil, then filed into the correct shape. They are joined at a 90 degree angle making a shelf, and held on with fishing line tied and glued onto the back of the plexiglass. Small holes are not a problem to drill.

Left to Right
.45Acp, 30 Carbine, 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm, 30-06, and 50BMG

You'll have to add the 9mm, it's been the sidearm round for several years now.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
Yes, I thought of that. Unfortunately we I had already made the display and given it to my uncle who lives 9 hr.'s away by then. He's a ww2 Vet. though so I don't think he'll miss it Big Grin.
Thanks for the reminder
-Josh